cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV set up

Frenchracer

Smart TV set up

I have been told by my TV manufacturer that I need to open up ports TCP443 and UDP123 and allow WAN PING.  This all sounds a bit chinese to me and tech assistance were unable to help me!!
I was referred to a third party software site but I don't want to buy software for 30USD to do this.
Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Smart TV set up

Hi FrenchRacer,
These instructions seem a bit strange.  What is the TV in question and what are you trying to achieve?
Port 443 is HTTPS and is a TARGET port - that is one which you connect out to.
Port 123 is SNTP used for time synchronisation.  If you have the PlusNet firewall enabled on high (see https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall) SNTP will not work
WAN PING is a ICMP message which is "enabled" here - http://192.168.1.254/ping.lp?be=0&l0=3&l1=6 - on the TG router supplied by PN.
Ping and SNTP are only to the router - I do not see how they help the TV work!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This all sounds a bit random for trying to connect a TV to the internet !  Huh
Can you provide a link to the TV manufacturers web-page where this was suggested,  or a link to the TV's instruction manual pdf.
While what is being asked would be relatively easy to do, it just doesn't seem right, unless these instructions refer to IPv6  Shocked
As 'Townman' says, try enabling the router's WAN PING, and ensure the Plusnet 'Broadband Firewall' set to 'Low'.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

When I connected my Sony Smart TV all I did was plug in the ethernet cable and click the main menu to find the internet menu and from there chose what programmes to watch, no set needed.
Frenchracer

Thanks all,
It's a Toshiba TV.  Between my ISP and Toshiba it's proving to be not very "Smart"
I'll give it another try tomorrow.
================================
My actual problem is I can see my Wifi connection on my Smart TV but when I put the password in it doesn't connect.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is completely unrelated to the original question.
Does the TV have an ethernet connector ?,  if it does you would be MUCH better off running an ethernet cable back to the router, OR using a pair of mains homeplugs to make the connection, rather than struggle with the unreliability of streaming video over WiFi.
Wink
Frenchracer

Sorry if it seemed "unrelated" but all I am trying to do is set up my new Smart TV and this is what I was told to do. Shocked
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about it,  we now know that the first problem is how to get your TV networked to your router !  Wink
If there is any problem with port forwarding etc, then that can be addressed later - as what you described has no part in making the initial connection to your home network.

Are you going to see whether the TV can be connected via an ethernet port ?
For ongoing information, which router are you using ?
Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sadly some customer help desks are completely useless.
The first thing that you need to check is if your TV has actually connected to the router.  Wifi is not as good as being wired as advised by Purleigh.
At the moment, there is no ISP involvement in the issue - this is looking like an internal connectivity issue in which you are being assisted by your ISP's community forum.
Does your TV indicate that it has an IP address?  If you do not know how to do this, please post the model number of the TV and someone might look for a manual and read through it to find out how to assist you.  Alternatively the shop from which you bought it ought to be capable of offering you a setup service, for which there might be a charge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Frenchracer

Thanks all
I'm going to send the TV back.  It shouldn't be this difficult!
I've spoken with Plusnet who confirmed they are unable to open the ports specified by Toshiba as this will affect security.  They did advise me to look at "portforwarding.com" for a solution.  However, I've tried all morning, in fact I've been trying to set it up for 4 days now  Undecided 
I consider myself quite computer literate but I'm flumuxed with this - I really don't know how the average man in the street would get on.
Once again, thanks for all your suggestions.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Take a deep breath and don't be so hasty. There'll be a solution to this but if you're stabbing in the dark you'll only make it more difficult.
As the others have said, take things one step at a time. I would recommend plugging the TV into the router with a wired connection (assuming it has an Ethernet port) and seeing if it works. If it does then the router configuration is fine and doesn't need to be touched; the problem will be down to the wireless aspect. We can cross that bridge once/if we get to it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I honestly do not believe that the Toshiba statements are relevant.
As I noted above, these ports do not appear relevant.
443 is OUTBOUND and does not need to be specifically "opened".
The others are inbound to the ROUTER and can have no bearing on the TV.  I would be concerned if some third party needed to probe your TV so that it can do whatever it is supposed to.
These links might help you...
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Connecting-your-Wi-Fi-TV-to-your-Wire...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1891814/toshiba-smart-connect-wireless-internet.html (see links a couple of posts down)
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=75743
There are numerous posts around the place of people having problems with Toshiba TVs.  Is demo mode working?  What is the model?  Exactly at what point is this all failing to work?