cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowly slowly but never catch the Monkey !

stefen
Dabbler

Slowly slowly but never catch the Monkey !

Hi there, I have always had terrible download speeds as a result of living so far from the exchange, however, Jojo helped out about 6 months a go and managed to double my speed which enabled me to enjoy rarities such as moving pictures etc. My d/L speed has fallen back to just .453Mb/ps and is probably at its lowest since getting broadband. On checking Bt's site, they say that my exchange is due for fibre in December this year, originally it was down for September, so I'm not holding my breath ! Is it possible to tweak something technical at your end to regain the 1Mb speed I enjoyed for such a short but happy period of time.
Hope you can help in some way.
Ste.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slowly slowly but never catch the Monkey !

Hi there,
I've just checked the account history and ran a line test and I'm happy to perform an SNR reset to the same values that Jojo did (3db downstream, 6db upstream).
I suspect this might improve things for you over the weekend but I can't promise it would last for long I'm afraid.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stefen
Dabbler

Cheers Adam would appreciate it if u would try it for me. Just lost internet connection about 20 mins a go and had to reboot - hope that doesnt effect anything at your end ? Even if i get a couple of months at a higher speed until the fibre gets fitted would be a godsend. Thanks.
Ste.
stefen
Dabbler

Hi Adam - just after you did your bit of magic my internet went down and I had to reboot the router, don't know if this had any effect on what you did but only managed about .700 mb/s. This week I have experienced a couple of losses of internet - don't know why and tonight it happened again. Once restored, I seem to be only getting just over .500Mb/s down load speed and .310M/bs upload speed. Could u try again to see if the SNR reset will hold as I think the internet breaks this week didnt give it a chance to kick in. Strangely enough, when I did a speed check this week, the needle nearly fell off the dial - it registered 426.66M/bs.  Wish I could get .66M/bs !
All the best, Ste.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've submitted another reset to 6db however we can't continue doing these to squeeze that bit extra out of the connection I'm afraid. However at present I am surprised that you're not seeing speeds in the region of the 800kbps profile that you currently have.
Are you usually connected by wireless when achieving those speeds or ethernet?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stefen
Dabbler

Cheers Adam - I'm connected by wireless. There now seems to be a problem with the upload speed. Last night I checked the download speed and it was showing as .770mb/s and the download speed was only just over .100mb/s. Just checked it again and the download speed is showing at a constant .570m/bs but the upload is really struggling to record a figure - the dial actually showed a 'minus sign' whilst going round and finally registered .029m/bs. I ran a full scan last night and the laptop says its running ok. I have had a few disconnections lately were I lose the internet.  I've just  plugged it into the ethernet lead and switched off the wireless connection and the download speed is a constant .578, but the upload has returned to .369, which is its usual speed. Thanks for spending time on the problem and I hope it sorts itself out.
Thanks. Ste
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
The next thing we need to do is to rule out a potential issue with wireless connectivity. So I'm going to advise that you connect the router directly to a PC and run a speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com
Let me know when you have.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team