cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowing Speed

JAYELL

Slowing Speed

Hi, I have been with Plusnet for about 6 months now and never had any problems. But over time my download speed has dropped from a steady 14+ to 9.9/10. that is not too bad for emails etc. but lately I am getting an increase in buffering with Netflix.  ITV catch up is unwatchable now. I was promised and got 14+ when I first came to PN but now it has reduced and nothing has changed at my end. Is this temporary or am I stuck with 10mbps
John
adie:red removed all caps title as per link:rules]
7 REPLIES 7
JAYELL

Re: Slowing Speed

There is no crackling on my line.
the BTW test show similar results
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for the tests and for checking the line for noise.
Your line seems very stable, no disconnections in 19 days.

Your line profile is already at the best setting for speed:
WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Although the target SNR is 3db, your current SNR is 7.5.
Can you try logging in to the router, disconnecting, remove the DSL cable, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and reconnect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JAYELL

thank for the reply. 
I did that. latest BTW test was 10.95mbps  and  0.72mbps
JAYELL

I will give Netflix etc a go tonight to see if it has improved.
Thanks
John
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Those results look fine.
Let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JAYELL

Sorry about the delay getting back in touch.
The download is now 11.06mbps and netflix etc was fine last night.  Smiley
For future reference, if it slows down again is it OK it disconnect the router as instructed?
"Can you try logging in to the router, disconnecting, remove the DSL cable, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in and reconnect."
Thanks
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi John,
A warm welcome to the forums.
In short absolutely NO!!!  Cool
Quote from: Chris
Although the target SNR is 3db, your current SNR is 7.5.

This statement potentially points to an issue to be watched.  Chris' advice was specifically relevant to this observation, random reboots of the ADSL router is not good practice, even though some will seek to claim that it does not really matter.
The above observation somewhat points to the possibility of interference on the line.  I suspect that you will be back again with another report of speed issues, which we can look at then.
In the time that things deteriorated, have you bought any new electrical equipment?
Take a look at the speed issues thread and work through the problem elimination activities.  Sight of the router stats would be useful please.  Is the phone line quiet?  Are there any phone extensions, if yes how are they wired?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.