cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower download speeds than usual.

danielj

Slower download speeds than usual.

Hi,
My speeds for downloads have dropped quite a bit lately, my sync speed has been at 7616 but my actual speed when I run a test at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ ; have been at:
Download Speed: 1085 kbps (135.6 KB/sec )  Upload Speed: 379 kbps (47.4 KB/sec )
When before it has been around the 500kb-600kb mark.
These are the current stat's for my router:
Current Rate:        7616 kbs  448 kbs
Max Rate: 7616 kbs 1032 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin:       9.0 dB 25.0 dB
Current Attenuation:         32.0 dB 21.0 dB
Current Output Power:     19.7 dB     11.9 dB
My bt profile is set 6500, and I think the actual throughput was 3500 (I would put the results up but it wont let me perform another one until three hours).
Download speeds that I've been getting from filefront have gone from 600kb to 40kb-60kb.
I've looked into tweaking my rwin but to no avail (I'm on Vista). I've also tried restarting the router, but nothing seems to have changed; are my speeds stuck like this?
I also have another problem, when i changed the security from wep to wpa on my router, which is the 1800hg; After the router has been switched off and on again it doesn't seem to be broadcasting wifi as my laptop nor ipod will find it. What I have to do is connect by ethernet, change it from wpa to wep and then reboot. Is there a firmware update to fix this also?
Sorry for the essay, thanks,
Daniel.
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slower download speeds than usual.

Hi there,
I can't see anything that would be obviously restricting your connection from this end, there's no issues with usage and the line profile is still set to 6500. Is there any chance that someone else could be online and downloading from your network at the same time?
With regard to the firmware, if you wish to update this you need to contact support@2wire.com including your router's serial number, ISP name, and model number.
Hope that helps,
danielj

Re: Slower download speeds than usual.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and the support email address. I don't think it's because there is someone else using my connection; I'll just see how it goes, it will be probably sort itself out, web browsing is still speedy so it's not too bad.
Thanks.