Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower broadband speeds

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Slower broadband speeds

Openreach - the arm of the BT Group who own the infrastructure - appear to be managed/directed by the ghosts of GPO Telephones - their attitude, until you get down to those who actually do the job - the engineers - is 'sod the end user, we'll make life as complicated/contorted as possible'.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

I'm still not holding my breath, but just wondered if you had any joy getting any further with this?

jab1
Legend

No Help Team staff have picked this up as I hoped they would, but sight of your current Technical Log would help to make me make any further suggestions.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

PN2a.JPGPN2b.JPG

jab1
Legend

Fix

Well, you've had no drops, according to that, since your refresh, and the fact that your downstream SNR is still lower than I would expect for your line length, suggests you have good line.

All I can suggest is that you do what I used to when on FTTC, and check that once a day. If the DSL Uptime drops again, repost, but as it stands I don't think there is anything we can do.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

That's great thank you. As you suggested in your original post, this does seem to keep on happening though - that's why I keep coming back here.

Very grateful for the extra knowledge - I'll keep an eye on it.

PabloBruno
Grafter

I've been keeping an eye on my speeds but just checked and it's down to about 24-26 Mbps (using https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/details). Is there anything that can be done or is it time to get an engineer involved.

Please let me know if you require any more info' tests.

jab1
Legend

How does your Event Log look - any 'DSL down' entries?

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

Hi John,

Here are more details. Yes, I saw these two entries in the Event log:

15:22:00, 16 Apr. DSL Link Down: duration was 2149 seconds
14:45:40, 16 Apr. DSL Link Down: duration was 1704993 seconds

Many thanks, as always.

PNnew1.jpgPNnew2.JPGPNnew3.JPGPNnew4.JPGPNnew5.jpgPNnew6.jpg

jab1
Legend

Looking at the Technical Log you have had a couple of drops quite close together this afternoon, and it looks like the DLM has upped your D/S noise margin quite aggressively, presumably in an attempt to stabilise things, so that suggests you have a problem somewhere. Is it possible to select the 'Event Log' on there and then 'Export'. Once you have done that, attach the resulting, file to a new post please.

John
PabloBruno
Grafter

As requested.

EDIT: Just had another short outage.

jab1
Legend

Looks like a repeat of your March episodes, but maybe @Dan_the_Van can comment.

@Dan_the_Van -  those logs claim a D/S SNR of 6.3, but the Technical log is showing the value as 11.4 - strange?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

those logs claim a D/S SNR of 6.3, but the Technical log is showing the value as 11.4 - strange?

The logs will show the SNR at the time the line resynched, which will be pretty much the same as the target (6db).

I suspect (but dont know for definite) that the tech log shows the current SNR. So assuming the line resysnched at the time of any fault condition , and that condition is no longer there, the SNR will have increased due to the better line conditions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

So, a higher SNR is better? I must be losing the plot, because I was always under the impression that one that far away from the target was a sign of problems - or does FTTC work in the opposite direction to ADSL?

Given that the OP's speeds appear to be falling with the higher SNR, this is not making sense - to me. 😕

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

So, a higher SNR is better? I must be losing the plot, because I was always under the impression that one that far away from the target was a sign of problems - or does FTTC work in the opposite direction to ADSL?

No, you're correct a higher SNR is indicative of a problem.

What we seem to have here is varying external interference which is reducing the snr. So when the interference is bad, the line resynchs at. a low speed to reinstate the target 6db. If susquently the interference goes away , the line would be able to synch at a higher speed and still meet the 6db target. However , the line will not resynchs of it's own volition , what will happen is that the speed stats the same and the snr ( headroom) increases.

It's similar to a capped line, it's just that the line is 'stuck';at the previous speed until it's manually resynched.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.