cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

elbanko44
Grafter

Re: Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

most days after 1pm i am free

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

Just a thought, but has it actually been confirmed that the cabinet adjacent to the OP's home is the same one that serves his property?

On my part of our estate, there is a cabinet 50 metres directly ahead of our front door, but for historical reasons, the houses on our part of the estate are served by a cabinet 800 cable metres away, and 45Mb was the most we could ever get.

That was until a couple of years ago when I finally managed to convince Openreach to shift us to the closer cab! Almost all of my neighbours are still on the distant cabinet.

elbanko44
Grafter

Yeah, the cabinet is definitely the one that serves my house as confirmed by engineers
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Booked in for Friday between 1pm and 6pm. If that's ok with you. If not, let me know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@elbanko44 

Trying to think over all potential issues here.  Having re-read the thread, in "your space"...

• All existing internal extensions have been disconnected (either physically or by removal of the face plate)
  • There are no extensions wired direct off the back of the NTE5 service plate
  • There are no extensions wired (Tee'd) off the inbound circuit (trace the path of the cable back from the master socket)
  • Are there any external junction boxes (look at soffits and facia boards)
  • The line remains quiet with a clear dial tone
  • The router is connected direct to the master socket (no phone extension cables) using only the supplied DSL cable

Sometimes extensions were wired from external junction boxes rather from the master socket.  It might just be worth while plugging that telephone handset into every extension socket ... just to affirm that there is no dial tone!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

elbanko44
Grafter

I can confirm all existing extensions have been disconnected from behind the faceplate by an open reach engineer, I think all the sockets were also removed except for the cables.

I don't believe there is a junction box it looks like the cable comes directly from outside into the property and to the master socket.

The line has a clear and constant dialtone with no noise.

The router is connected directly to the master socket, the test socket was previously used, official DSL cable and filter used as well as two spares I had at the time. The face plate has since been replaced by qube to a pre filtered one with a new dsl cable provided.

There has been open reach engineers at both of the cabinets that feed our area (they are litteraly 15 meters apart) and there has been extensive roadworks to get to the underground cabling so either someone else is having issues or theyre doing something. There's no fibre rollout planned as far as I'm aware so can't be an upgrade to fttp, would be great if it was linked to my issue though!

If there's anything I should ask the engineer to note down responses then I would be most grateful so I can then feedback the discussion here.
elbanko44
Grafter

Friday will be fine thank you
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ask for a speed check at the cabinet (FTTC port) and in the house. Ask the length of the d-side and ask if the speed delta is commiserate with the length.

Ask if there is any evidence of REIN (high error rates).

Moderators Note: Typo corrected

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

elbanko44
Grafter

Perfect. Will ask the engineers for all of this information and hopefully will get some information from them
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I am going to check back on Saturday to make sure all is ok from there Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
elbanko44
Grafter

I'm afraid it's another day of total disappointment.

The engineer was out today (before 1pm so I wasn't even home) and left me a voicemail to say he's completely changed the line to the telegraph pole and that he has managed to get the speed to 50mbps and that's all that he can do, there is nothing more that open reach can or will do so there is no point in reporting it again. The same engineer as last week's that said we were on the wrong circuit.

I've no idea how he tested the speed at our property as no one was on.

And today. Well.. watching even BBC iPlayer is a total shambles. Nothing but buffering.

I give up.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@elbanko44 wrote:
... 50mbps and that's all that he can do, there is nothing more that open reach can or will do so there is no point in reporting it again. The same engineer as last week's that said we were on the wrong circuit.
I give up.

I would not give up - this engineer has already indicated that they do not know what they are talking about - and I doubt that his pay-grade can make that decision.  This needs escalating to a senior engineer.

elbanko44
Grafter

I would have hoped this time it would have been an engineer of senior position that came out, it is most likely going to the be the same guy that comes out every time, and they are just going to get more and more annoyed and keep on just giving me rubbish excuses.

I don't know if it would be best just to have an entire new line installed at the property or not.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

More spam

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey there @elbanko44 I have escalated this now and will let you know when I have an update.

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team