cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

elbanko44
Grafter

Re: Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

He done all his tests at the property and yeah he couldn't find an issue - when he reset the line he seen the stability issue as the connection just kept going down so he witnessed that first hand. However, he said he was going to go to the cabinet and replace the fibre ports as he thought they were faulty, he said he would return and do some tests again but he never did return so i've not been given any update other than from you. 

It is kind of annoying as i've sat in and waited for him to come back and update me/do further testing

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Re: Slower Fibre speeds than originally guaranteed and about half the speeds the line is capable of

Oh absolutely, I can imagine. I am so sorry about that. What we could do is give until Tuesday to see how it is and then I can raise another engineer, if that's alright?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
elbanko44
Grafter

Yeah will have to go ahead with that

elbanko44
Grafter

Data rate:12.492 Mbps / 45.301 Mbps
Maximum data rate:12.555 Mbps / 43.770 Mbps
Noise margin:6.1 / 6.0
Line attenuation:7.4 / 15.4
Signal attenuation:7.4 / 19.1

as you can see, no further forward, data rate has somewhat reduced since the engineer has been, line has been a bit more stable but still doesn't excuse the fact that the speeds are much lower than they should be.

Would be good if an engineer can be sent out to investigate why the speeds are not reaching the BT Minimum speeds. Hopefully not one that just decides to leave me in the dark and go off home this time
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yeah that's no better, when would you be free for an engineer?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
elbanko44
Grafter

almost any day after 1pm

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

All booked in for Thurs between 1-6pm Smiley I will send an email confirmation for you as well.

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
elbanko44
Grafter

Hello Will.

Engineer has been out - he's done all the line tests again - line is showing 0 faults at all, his sync speed is 45 but believes we are somehow not on the right circuit, he thinks plusnet have us down on a 40/10 circuit not an 80/20 circuit and has told me to get back to you guys to put me on the correct circuit. He has said he has seen this before and its always been down to the ports being on the wrong circuit

Im not sure how much truth is in that but he is basically saying that no open reach engineer can come out and fix the problem. which again i don't understand as surely open reach can change the circuits?Huh

i am kind of at my wits end with this now, i don't understand how a BT openreach engineer is unable to get the speeds that their own system have advised the line is capable of, none of them seem to understand that its BTs own system that is determaining that the line is able to achieve.

What they are agreeing with is that it should be more than capable of getting 80/20 considering the distance to the cabinet and the distance from the cabinet to the exchange

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@elbanko44    from your post above you are clearly not on a 40/10 port.

Data rate:12.492 Mbps / 45.301 Mbps
Maximum data rate:12.555 Mbps / 43.770 Mbps
Noise margin:6.1 / 6.0
Line attenuation:7.4 / 15.4
Signal attenuation:7.4 / 19.1
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Howdy again,

What a pain. I have checked all the configurations of the line, it's on 80/20 and it's not being capped either so not sure what is going on and why they are advising otherwise. What I'm going to need to do is take this away and discuss with my faults colleagues and get back to you if that's ok?

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@elbanko44 wrote:

Engineer has been out - he's done all the line tests again - line is showing 0 faults at all, his sync speed is 45 but believes we are somehow not on the right circuit, he thinks plusnet have us down on a 40/10 circuit not an 80/20 circuit and has told me to get back to you guys to put me on the correct circuit. He has said he has seen this before and its always been down to the ports being on the wrong circuit

Yet again, "someone else's issue" nonsense statements from a BT Openreach engineer.  All very sad, we see it far too frequently.

"On the wrong circuit" - there is not one circuit for this and another circuit for something else - it is all the same circuit, on the same port over which the provisioned product is delivered.

"0 faults - sync speed 45" - at your NTE5 ?  What about at the port in the cabinet did the engineer check that the VDSL port in the cabinet was pumping out 80/20?  If the engineer thought just a little about what they saw - 45mbps at your socket - they ought to have worked out for them selves that you are not (as confirmed by @willcutforth ) on the 40/10 product.

What an utter abdication of responsibility to deliver a professional service!  I hope that you do not get the same engineer on the next visit.  This needs affirmation that the VDSL port in the cabinet is actually delivering 80/20 into the d-side copper circuit.  If it is, then there is a d-side fault which tests from the exchange to the house and from the house to the exchange are not detecting.  Zero faults found, does not mean that there are no faults to be found, if only one bothers to look hard enough.

If the VDSL port is not pumping out 80/20 then it is defective.  It is all rather simple really!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

elbanko44
Grafter

I did try to point that out but at this stage it was very clear the engineer himself was not willing to do anything about it. Some of these engineers are rather oblivious and makes me question if anyone is allowed to become an open reach engineer these days.

elbanko44
Grafter

I would very much appreciate if you could.

It would be great to have an engineer of senior position come out and take a look at it rather than the bog standard "i will just test the line and blame it on plusnet" engineer.

elbanko44
Grafter

Yeah, i gathered pretty quickly in my argument that he was not willing to accept there was a fault and was just looking to pin the blame and head to the next job.

Very few engineers these days seem to appreciate their job, i remember back when fibre first came out the engineer could not leave until you were recieving the expected speeds (in my case, 62-80mbps with a minimum of 55)

the ports at the cabinet were switched over on the 24th by the engineer who didnt even bother to return and tell me what he done, and this engineer today tried the usual "ahh give it up to 10 days to settle" and at that point i knew the engineer i had was not going to solve the issue. The argument ensued and the conclusion that it was plus nets fault was drawn, it was clear he would not budge on his position and i just didnt have the energy to bother argue with a brick wall.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Let's get you another engineer out @elbanko44 when would you be free?

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team