Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Broadband with Plusnet.

FIXED
Railman1
Dabbler

Slower Broadband with Plusnet.

Hi all,

Have just joined Plusnet, after abysmal service from Sky customer none service, but have I made a wrong move?

Waited the correct time for the line to be 'trained' or whatever you call it.

Rebooted router once.

Checked all wires and cables. BUT............

With Sky broadband (adsl) I was receiving 2.4 meg at the router.

With Plusnet its only 1.8 meg ? ( Plusnets own information)

With Sky 1.8 meg over wi-fi with computer in next room.

With Plusnet 1.1 meg ?

Router supplied by Plusnet is, I believe, the next model up from the old, old Sky F@astnet one, its in the same position as the old one, supplied over the same wires as the old one, plugged into the same( and only) socket as the old one?

So now cannot watch BBC iplayer, TOOOO slow.You Tube slow, Web Pages Slow.

Please tell me something is wrong at your end Plusnet.

Apart from that,Change over was as sweet as a nut, correct day,time, great help and information given at all times.Cannot fault you on customer service ........(yet)

HELPppppppppppp!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Slower Broadband with Plusnet.

Hi there,

whats your estimated line speed?  check here  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com 

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix

My guess is they are playing safe and have set the target snr for your line at 9dB whereas with Sky it was running 6dB, best raise a fault ticket by answering the trick questions here and pointing this out to them along with the rate discrepancy Smiley

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your actually on a 3db target at the moment so there aren't any restrictions holding the speed back.

At the moment your speeds are within in the estimates we gave you during sign up so our Faults team wouldn't most likely accept this as a fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Edit: MW's post covers the content better.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

25% reduction in speed on same line yet Plusnet say that's not acceptable as a fault!!

Totally unjustifiable and downright laziness, I would go for breach of contract and go back to Sky.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Perhaps I should have left my previous post in play. LLU operators tend to go for speed and ignore error rates/repeat transmissions unless they are very high/continuous, BT connections are set for stability/low error rates as default.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Railman1
Dabbler

BT line check is 1.5 to 3.0 ( small village way out in the sticks....last place on the line, or earth for that matter).

Update...... Time line: Back end of beyond....

Plusnet say they have found a fault on the line ......Stop ....... Urgent  repairs carried out immediately....Stop ......Speed should be better within seventy two hrs ....Stop.

(for gods sake stop saying STOP!!!!!....got it in before you all)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Railman1 - Well at least you still have the Telegraph. Funny

Railman1
Dabbler

Thanks to you all, for information and help. Plusnet and THE FORUM 'bandits' have once AGAIN come up trumps with their technical and customer service aid.

Speed now up to old standard and that's before the full 72 hrs is up.No line drops or 'upsets'. One very happy, new Plusnet, bunny.

Now, how are Plusnet on supplying gas to a village ( of the damned), whos council thinks technology and utilities are tools of the Devil....(even our street sweeper is dressed as cardinal from the Spanish Inquisition.) 

Mook..Correct about the Telegraph, its great for lighting the coal fire.