cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow youtube?

mathewlisett
Grafter

Re: Slow youtube?

i believe your mis reading or intrepreting my words in correctly.
as a user of video streaming you would expect that whilst you press play that the stream should be allowed to have a few seconds to download part of the content with a good download speed and allow the user to watch that part whilst the rest is being downloaded.
how ever in my experince, and especially as youtube have seemingly been changign the way they assume we ant to view content, even with the video has been fully or even half loaded, it has stuttering issues or when you want to go to a place where its still in the area of the already been buffered, it still seems to have issues with havign to re buffer it.
and then you have the other buffer issues, where you have the whole thing loaded, yet if you want to skoo to a section it will pause for a bit then play and even the playback isnt smooth.
so this is why as soon as my IDM software catches the file ready to download, i will and even before the clip has gained 1/4 of its buffer i have the file on ym system with out any playback issues at all. which id rather do that then at times having to re load the page to se if that works, or the buffer re buffering the buffer which means when it buffers it buffer it therefore means its download even more data of my bandwitdh.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI folks,
I also have issues from time to time from home with youtube, it can be really frustrating, especially as I have a 15000 profile. A quick google does indicate that it's quite widespread. I'd be interested to know if we'll ever find out the real reason.
Jojo Smiley
missisbeki
Grafter

I never thought to consult the great and wise google haha.
scootie
Grafter

that's just the virgin media threads i have posted in, there is few more as well
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Youtube-buffering-problems-solutio...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Youtube-buffering-problem/td-p/583...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Youtube-throttled/m-p/581215#M5979...
my experiences with it all was that regardless of the setting 720p 1080p 480p it all depended on what ip range they was coming from, and seemed to be capped at 2mb on the 64.xx.xx.xx range and full speed on the 173.xx.xx.xx range

mathewlisett
Grafter

hey peeps, checkl the videos now. becuase over the last 24 hours they have completely changed the player itself. its now far less laggy, your able to select where ever you want to start from and it wont be really slow in playback from buffer. ive also found the page itself when the video has loaded doesnt lag either.
missisbeki
Grafter

Still around the same time to load, maybe a second or 2 faster, though its loading a little better if I skip ahead, loads a chunk then slow.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Still around the same time to load

Same here.
Perhaps has something to do with the time you were looking Mathew? Tongue
*looks at your post time of 04:41*
stormchaser2005
Grafter

Im having a similar problem..... Trying to upload a video to facebook and it shows an upload time of 93 hours. After about a minute this drops gradually to 6 hours and then stays there.I tried youtube and it says 260 minutes and that was 1:30 this morning, this afternoon it started at 63 hours and then went down to 350 minutes. Ive tried 4 different browsers and reset my router and still the same. Speed test comes up fine. I usually use firefox but every time I go on to facebook and try the video upload it goes to a blank screen and at the top says "not responding" before reverting back and telling me its going to be sometime next week before my video gets on there  Wink Its driving me mad
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

About lunchtime today this video downloaded completely in one line-speed burst over 10 seconds or so. But now it follows the initial burst, then slower style with delivery completing in 70% of playtime.
Seems to support the time-of-day dependency theory.
David
Azagoth
Grafter

Youtube is patheticly slow for me today too.  Getting a speed of 350kbps on videos, which is causing the majority to to sit there with that damn flashing circle going.  My line-speed though is fine.
missisbeki
Grafter

Well tonight been very slow, if I tried to skip ahead it wouldnt buffer so couldnt actually watch the videos in the way I needed!
Hope it gets sorted its ruining my achievement getting  Tongue
Azagoth
Grafter

Is this problem ever going to be sorted out any time soon?  Speeds are fine across the board, but Youtube is constantly slow.  No matter what the time of day or night, Youtube is nigh on unusable.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just checked and speeds are normal for me. A couple of 4 minute videos downloaded as line speed burst then slower cruise, download fully completed in just under 70% of run time.
I haven't checked at peak time.
David
matt_2k34
Grafter

there isnt anything "to sort" ...
we've discussed that the videos load faster than they play - which appears to be by design of YT now, rather than loading the video as fast as possible..
I guess they realised theres lots of crap on YT - and people tend to flick off clips, dispite YT having loaded the lot!
Regards
Perhaps a more localised problem Azagoth ? - tried running the HTML5 version of the site (just to rule out a dodgy version of flash..)
Azagoth
Grafter

So you're saying that, even though my speed is perfectly normal everywhere else, 20 minutes to load a 2 minute video is normal on Youtube?  I find it strange that if I connect my laptop to my neighbours wireless connection the speed on Youtube shoots up and the very same video comes down in no time at all.