cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow wireless speed.

coatseh
Grafter

Slow wireless speed.

Hi, last few weeks I have been having very slow wireless speeds, speed tests suggest that the internet itself is actually fine, it's just when browsing the internet I get a large amount of timed out pages and not loading properly. It's quite annoying.
Wondering if this could be helped by getting a new router? Would something along the lines of:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR940N-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B00MIFM3R8/ref=sr_1_27?s=computer...
OR
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-D1500-100UKS-Wireless-Connections-Essentials/dp/B00N4VUB0Q/ref=sr_1_...

Would these work with standard Plus Net internet? Would it give better performance than the standard Thomson TG585(I think that's the number) one supplied with broadband?

How does it work? Do I just replace my old one and set this up?

Cheers.
26 REPLIES 26
coatseh
Grafter

Re: Slow wireless speed.

Did a TracerT test, image is attached. What do the missed hops mean?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If you are asking for help I think you need to profile the problem better.
What speed tests (wired or over wifi) suggest that the internet itself is fine?
If you've proved that speed tests over wifi are fine, then a new router is not likely to fix anything which is not broken.
It could be that there is a local wifi channel conflict issue.  Download insider to see what the channel utilisation looks like and then manually set your wifi to use change 1, 6 or 11 depending on which has least congestion.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coatseh
Grafter

Thank you for the reply. Happy to try and answer any questions you have and perform more tests.
Just the general speed tests you can find online, they have all suggested the general speed of the internet is fine. The TracerT test I linked above seemed to suggest a problem, but I am no expert? Also done a Ping test which seemed fine.
The speed seemingly is fine, but in reality it isn't. There is something at play that is causing very slow page loading speeds,and incomplete pages(particularly images).
I have tried multiple channels, but the problem seems to persist.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK I'll try to answer the question differently.
If your concern is that trace-route (tracert) shows some hops missing or unresponsive, that has nothing to do with wifi, your router or your internet link.  Not all servers will respond to pings and if they are busy, ping traffic is the first to be dropped.
If your issue is that some websites are slow hen that could well be down to that website, either the server is busy or the web pages are poorly designed.  For example, my internet connection is not the fastest, most sites load OK, but if I try to use of the newspaper sites, the pages take ages.  That's due to all of the advertising crud (page bloat) they contain.
Just to be sure, you might want to take a look at the speed issues thread and post the information requested therein.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coatseh
Grafter

I understand what you mean.
Yeah, I thought a missed hop would be indicative of a connection problem.
I see what you mean, but this is random, it will happen on massive websites like google or the BBC, and is very frequent. My internet runs at around 16mb, which I think should allow these major sites to load pretty well to be honest.
Thank you, will do that!
coatseh
Grafter

Small update. Every time I have a problem with a web page this information pops up in my routers logs.

Error Jan 13 20:50:01 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 5): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: Dst ip: Type: Time Exceeded Code: Time to Live exceeded in Transit

Error Jan 13 20:48:57 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 8): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: .194 Dst ip: Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited.

This is happening constantly, by the way, as in 20-30 times in a 10 minute usage period. It's quite annoying.

Is there a way to fix this?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you want to check if the wireless is the problem, ping the router's IP address: 192.168.1.254.
Those icmp check firewall log messages are very common, I expect most people using Technicolor routers will see them. They are not necessarily related to whatever is causing your problem with pages not loading properly. You'd need to check if the IP addresses in the logs are used by the website you were trying to access (and different parts of the website may be on different IPs, especially things like images).
Quote from: coatseh
Wondering if this could be helped by getting a new router? Would something along the lines of:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR940N-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B00MIFM3R8/ref=sr_1_27?s=computer...
OR
http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-D1500-100UKS-Wireless-Connections-Essentials/dp/B00N4VUB0Q/ref=sr_1_...
Would these work with standard Plus Net internet?

The Netgear would be suitable, but that TP-Link wouldn't be, because it doesn't do ADSL (it's a cable router, designed to be connected to a separate modem).
coatseh
Grafter

Thank you. I just wanted to check the router's.
Ah right, I just thought it seemed odd that they occured literally at the exact moment I have a problem. When the pages load properly, I see nothing.
coatseh
Grafter

So I have had the laptop hooked up via ethernet today, and none of this poor page loading or images being corrupt nonsense!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Could be coincidence, it could be a wife wifi issue.  Suggest that you download inSSIDer (V3 is free) or Acrylic's WiFi analyser to inspect your local wifi spectrum to see what other stations are around and which channel is least used.

coatseh
Grafter

A coincidence in regard to the lack of trouble when plugged in? I used it for quite some time, with no issues at all whereas on wifi I have problems within minutes. Tested both during the same period.

I have tried SSID, as well as changing the channel between 1,6,11. If anything moving from 6 and 11 from 1 made the problem actually worse. Please see the image I have attached, mine is the green plus net connection on ranging over channel 1. Is there anything in the fact that the Amplitude is rather high in comparison to the other connections?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Channel 1 looks good for you as no one else was on it at the time you looked.  It is higher than the rest, because (as it should be) it is stronger than the rest.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Townman
Could be coincidence, it could be a wife issue.

Freudian slip?
coatseh
Grafter

Update: I connected my old router, and it is working perfectly. Maybe the problem was caused by a router fault on my end. The difference is like night and day, should have tried it earlier but I forgot I even had this router. I rang tech support earlier, and he was very helpful. So thank you.