Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow up/down speeds.

ticklemehballlz
Dabbler

Slow up/down speeds.

Hello,
I recently moved to a new house, the line has been active for over two weeks now and we've lived here for over a month, for the first two weeks I had been using my WiFi hotspot for browsing/streaming from the Desktop, the 3g hotspot was acheiving around 25Mb/s so it was very nice, eventually my broadband got installed, I was told by Plusnet and the openreach engineer that a 17Mb/s is the most likely speed I will get here.
Ater a few days the new broadband has increased from 0.5Mb/s to 1.5Mb/s, after 7 days it was 6Mb/s and since has not changed, I understand that tests are performed between my router and the exchange so I was interested to see what the BT wholesale test would say.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.74 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 20.82 Mbps

I do believe there is no issue with my home network, I do run my desktop over Ethernet directly to the router. between my router and my computer I am achieving 100Mb/s and between my media center and my PC which is on a switch I'm achieving 500Mb/s
The same BT test but run over WiFi returns the same results.
Is anyone able to assist me here?
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow up/down speeds.

Have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required) - it should match the BT IP Profile.
Whilst you are logged into the Member Centre, check that all your details - address, phone number etc.are showing correctly under the Connection details.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looks like you've moved from a 20CN area to a 21CN area and our side hadn't updated to match the new speeds. I've done that now and you should see a vast improvement.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

@Chris, well done, but as the line has been active for 2 weeks, can you get someone to look into why the update hadn't taken place.
Chris
Legend

Simply human error. There's a supplier product that needs changing between 20CN, 21CN and Fibre (there are several options for each), it was this that hadn't been changed when the order was put through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

So presumably despite the fact that a Delta report comes through from BTw systems, it doesn't reach the customer account?
Chris
Legend

Pretty much, the delta report can only increase the speeds to the maximum defined by the supplier product set elsewhere, So unless that's set correctly, the speed won't increase.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for explaining.
ticklemehballlz
Dabbler

Wow thanks Chris!  Cheesy
My speeds are now running at 20Mb/s download and 1.06 upload.
I have another question regarding my broadband, I am on an unlimited package for my bb - Will the pro addon benefit me in anyway?
Chris
Legend

Honestly, very unlikely. The way the traffic prioritisation works should mean that you don't see any problems when streaming/gaming etc anyway.