Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow unstable connection

Unstablenet
Hooked

Slow unstable connection

Hello,

I’m here in a hope of help.

Basically I’ve just come from sky and had great service.

I have standard broadband. It’s drops out and is unstable in connection quality.

I called plusnet and was advised to reset it which I did and that worked for a few hours then back to patchy by service.

Currently getting speeds ranging from 0.93 to sometimes rarely over just over 8 but averaging 3/4.

Subscriptions like Netflix have become unusable. With an Ethernet cable it’s around 5 but still seeming laggy.

I would be grateful if anyone could help

Edit followed all the basic guides. I am also connected to the test socket.
14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Slow unstable connection

Welcome to the forums, @Unstablenet , When you say 'followed all the basic guides', have you checked out: https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 ? If not, I would suggest you do, and if you post the requested information back here, maybe one of the more experienced member could help you.

John
Unstablenet
Hooked

Thank you John.

By wholesale site is giving me a speed of 15.85 on WiFi Which is unlikely Speedtest as of now 3.45 which seems more accurate in terms of what I’m seeing. Lag and buffering on Netflix and WiFi drop outs/freezes.

I’m getting a solid 5 ish on the ethernet cable.

Plusnet advised me the router they sent me is not poorly made and that I should buy a bt home hub 6 or archer and some others and come figure it for use with them.

Line test is clear and snr and whatever test they did shows no issues. No line noise on my end. New cables new filter (plugged in to the test socket)

She said the fault is caused by either me or my router and that it’s my responsibility to investigate it.

Evenings are the worst. Nothing else is on that’s different from the day regarding interference. Maybe a neighbour ?

I’ve tried changing channels using a WiFi analyser to find a least commonly used one. No change.

I am on day 6 of being with plusnet but was told to be patient for 10 days. Usually never have a problem when I switch suppliers it just works out of the box.

I originally left PN a year ago because my o tract was up and the service was slow. I decided to give them another try as I couldnt find a better deal to be honest.

Thank you for the help so far 👍

jab1
Legend

@Unstablenet 

Thanks for that information - a bit hard to follow, to be honest, but yes it appears you have a problem. If you are getting a solid 5MB/s on an ethernet connection, this points to a wireless problem.Where is your router in relation to your devices?

I am a little surprised that PN would advise their supplied equipment was unsuitable, to be honest, although the Hub0/Hub1's are not noted for being brilliant - but you are using a budget ISP, so any supplied equipment will be budget.

If as you say you are only on day 6 of connection, then you really do need to give the line/system time to settle - 10 days is the time-frame usually given for this.

As an aside, one of the most important bits of information asked for in that linked post is not in your reply - the router stats, which give a broad overview of your connection, and quite often give a clue if anything is out of place/wrong.

John
Unstablenet
Hooked

The router is located next to the phone socket and the mobiles phones/tablets are being used in the same room and around the house. The fault is the same where ever the devices are used.

As was I the lady said the router I have is suitable and the bare minimum but it’s known to be poor which plusnet have not been able to replicate the issue to fix it. She advised buying a better router for long term less headache as she said there’s no other issue on the line.

A google around shows a common trend of this issue and others https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on...

Back on point: Router stats

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 12:24:00
7 - Data rate: 1211/9699
8 - Maximum data rate: 1216/9864
9 - Noise margin: 6.0/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 21.0/37.0
12 - Data sent/received: 1.2G/3.1G
20 - Broadband username:
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: 7
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11
jab1
Legend

Well, thanks for the information, again, but now I am confused - not difficult on a Sunday😉 - your connection speed is showing roughly the correct figures for your attenuation, and yet you are only seeing a max of 5MB/s even on a wired to the test socket connection.

There is something strange going off here, and I'm a little stumped - that just shouldn't happen. Does the 2704N report error counts?

Let me go away and have a think, but I probably won't get back to you today, I'm out after lunch, and probably won't be back till late tonight.

John
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just been running some tests on your line and we're not seeing any obvious causes for the issue. It would be worth making sure you've followed all the checks here next: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If that doesn't resolve the issue you can then report a fault at http://faults.plus.net

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@adamwalker The OP's router stats look OK to me, too - I'm still of the opinion it is internal, but the 5Mb/s they are claiming from the test socket is confusing.

John
Unstablenet
Hooked

Not sure where I get the 2470n report from ?

I managed to get hold of a Home hub 6 and I’m getting 7.85 with an Ethernet and around 7.07 on WiFi in different locations in the house.

The buffer/lag is gone and it’s working as hoped for. There have been no drop outs.

I’ve chucked Netflix, YouTube gaming and all work flawlessly.

The home hub 6 on a side note feels like a quality bit of kit, notably larger the PN one.

Out of curiosity I put the plusnet router back and I was back at square one.

I’ll see how this goes for the next few days.

Thank you for the help.

Unstablenet
Hooked

Much appreciated 👍
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

For a 37dB attenuated line, 9.8mbps is a tiny bit slow, but not out of order.

However the WiFi being on channel 7 is not likely to be helpful. Though there are 13 channels It is good manners To only use channels 1, 6 or 11. In the absence of a completely clear spectrum, WiFi APs being co-channel perform Better than being cross channel. Being on channel 7 will not serve you best and will degrade WiFi for others nearby too.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Unstablenet
Hooked

Seems my celebration was premature.

come early evening it reverted back to unusable.

Followed the above information and a dead loss what to do ?

the only other thing weird I've noticed is every time I go to google it asks to to verify I'm not a robot by asking me to click a selection of pictures. Saying something along the lines of unusual traffic detected, what that means I do not know. 

Even connection by an ethernet is poor

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1 - the 5mbps they are claiming

Remember that measured DATA speed can be a country mile difference form good line sync speed.

WiFi performance will be impacted on what’s happening in the local WiFi spectrum. Using a spectrum analyser such as Metageeks inSSIDer can be helpful - whereas operating in channels other than 1, 6 or 11 is not.

What is the test PC doing in the background?

What other up or down loads are quietly running on other connected devices?

What is the state of the exchange’s uphauls?

@adamwalker has the state of this user’s svlan been examined?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Yep, I know DATA does not equal sync. 😉

Reading @Unstablenet 's later comments where they mention an improvement after switching to the HH6 and then a reversion to 'unusable' - no data to explain it though - makes me wonder, but as it is very early in the morning and I am not quite fully awake, I'll wait till much later before further comment.

Like your other questions.👍

John
jab1
Legend

@Unstablenet 

Which modem/router are you currently using?

Can we have sight of the stats, please?

As @Townman mentioned, it is a good idea to install and use Metageeks inSSIDer, or Acrylic Wi-Fi Home, to discover the least used of channels 1, 6 or 11 and switch to that.

As to the Google oddity, sorry, but I have never come across that - the only times I get a captcha check is on financial sites, which is a normal and sensible extra layer of defence.

John