Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow tonight

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Slow tonight

I'm guessing all you need to do is disconnect and reconnect the PPP session to use the new Current Line Speed.
sully666
Grafter

Thanks Townman and ejs. We seem to be back to where we were now.
Just have to wait and see what offers Plusnet do on Fibre in the New Year  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Good to here that you are back where you were.
@CRT,
Is there any insight as to why this 12dB attenuated line synchs as slow as it does?  Is it capped?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sully666
Grafter

It would be nice to know why, but I won't hold my breath on finding out  Undecided
sully666
Grafter

Disappointed yet again that no one from the CRT can be bothered to comment  Undecided
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We try to reply to as many threads as we can, but sometimes we do miss them.
Looking at the line stats, there is no obvious reason I can see why you aren't connecting higher.
Your line is synced at 16564, which is above the fault threshold rate for your line (15437) so wouldn't be accepted as a fault by our suppliers based on the speed. There are more errors on the line than ideal.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but you are plugged in to the master (test if possible) socket with no extension leads and every other phone point has a filter if it's in use? And is there any noise on the phone line?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sully666
Grafter

I am sure I have mentioned before that I use a filtered faceplate. The last engineer who visited said  therefore didn't need the filters I had on the telephone. The high-speed cable goes from the socket direct to the router.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thought so!
The high-speed cable goes from the socket direct to the router.

How long is this cable? Did you manage to check the phone line for noise?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

For the avoidance of doubt, are there any extension sockets wired from the back of the faceplate?  If there are, can you please remove the lower faceplate, the xDSL face plate and plug a dangly filter into the exposed test socket.  Plug the router into that, get the ADSL stats and post here.
Phone extension wiring, filtered or otherwise, used or not can have a detrimental impact on ADSL performance.  If there is more than one extension, there would be no star / branch wiring (it should go from one socket to just the next), there should be only two wires connected - terminals 2&5 - the wires should be twisted pairs.
Extensions run using flat D cable can be very unhelpful!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Err, I know a filter isn't perfect, but if all the wiring is filtered off by a faceplate on the master socket, then it shouldn't have much effect on the broadband?
Otherwise, it's like saying my phone should only have 2 pins in its plug connected, and the cables that connect my phones to their sockets need to be twisted pair.
sully666
Grafter

No Noise on the line at all
The cable is 3m as there isn't a socket anywhere near where the master socket comes into the house, and it would be far to dangerous to trail an extension cable.
Nothing is wired from the back of the socket.  There is just the broadband cable coming from the filter part and a telephone cable to our phone from the other socket.
This setup worked perfectly well with BE, albeit without the filter plate, but with everything filtered.
Do feel as if the speed is being throttled  Huh
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I thought it was just a case of the BTWholesale exchange equipment not being quite as good as the LLU exchange equipment. Your line may also not be particularly good, but perhaps it never has been. Of course you also lose a small amount of usable speed due to Plusnet (a couple of Mbps for max speed FTTC).
sully666
Grafter

Interesting reading  Wink
I am still undecided about Fibre at the moment and things I have read in the Fibre section have given me pause for thought, especially that exisitng customers are not getting the same modem router as new customers, especially as I quite like the GUI of my ASUS DSL-N55U.
Will see what the New Year brings.
sully666
Grafter

sully666
Grafter

I feel your pain.  Mine was down to less than 4 about a week ago.