Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow to open at times

FIXED
fox65
Grafter

Slow to open at times

Good morning, I had a first class broadband service until I changed to unlimited fibre extra with a new router. I now find during the day I go from a quick opening to a very slow opening when going on line. When it's normal its great but you never know what you are going to get now. If anyone can help that would be great I am just a broad band user not a expert , many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow to open at times

@fox65 Exactly what do you mean - where do you see this 'slowness'?

John
fox65
Grafter

I can go into whatever site I want to and it will open instantly next time I try to go into a site or my emails it takes a little while before it opens, That goes on during the day so that I never know what i am going to get. I use Thunderbird email and Firefox browser but I also have the Opera browser and it does the same thing on that. When its what I call normal it's perfect instant but then I have to sit and wait for say1/2 minutes not something I had before I changed toFibre extra and a new router. It might have nothing to do with that ? 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I think I now understand what you are saying.  I assume you have the Hub2? If so, can you please post the information requested below - it may give us a chance to spot an issue.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fox65 wrote:

... I had a first class broadband service until I changed to unlimited fibre extra with a new router.

Were you using a Plusnet router BEFORE changing to unlimited fibre extra, or were you using an alternative commercial router ? (which might have been configured to use a faster and more reliable DNS such as Google or Cloudflare, and/or that performed local DNS caching such as 'dnsmasq')

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fox65 wrote:

... I had a first class broadband service until I changed to unlimited fibre extra with a new router.

Was the previous router capable of working with unlimited fibre ?

I'm wondering if it is, then as an experiment, it might be worth swapping back to that to see whether the problem disappears ?

fox65
Grafter

I am using a Hub2 router at present but still have my old one so have just switched it on and will try that over the next 24 hrs will let you know how it works out,

fox65
Grafter

Good morning, just a quick update, my old router seems to have done the trick speed is fine and back to working as it used to do so it looks like the problem was the hub 2 router ? any idea why that would be please ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fox65 wrote:

... it looks like the problem was the hub 2 router ? any idea why that would be please ?

@bobpullen  is the expert on Hub 2 issues,  or perhaps he knows of a firmware update that helps ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@fox65 - at the risk of sounding clichéd, did you try simply switching the Hub Two off/back on again when you were having difficulties? I'm wondering if the improvement following the swapout is a result of the line going down/coming back up, rather than the hub in use. The Hub Two could also have got itself into a pickle that required a reboot.

I'm not aware of any open issues that would result in this behaviour (not given the explanation of your setup anyway). 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fox65
Grafter

Yes I did try switching it off and back on it made no difference but my old router is working fine perhaps I should have kept it in the first place. When you are used to the internet working quickly it's not to great when you sit and have to wait , mind you my old lap top used to be like that . Thank you everyone for your input.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@fox65 - perhaps it shall remain an mystery in which case.

The Hub Two is a more capable device so there's no obvious explanation as to why it would have caused you problems Huh

Should you reinstate it and encounter the same issue, then let me know and I'll look into it further. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fox65
Grafter

Thank you.

fox65
Grafter

I thought I would let you know the latest, today with nothing else to do I gave the Hub2 router another try and at presnt its working fine so fingers crossed al will be well now. Strange but it's good to see it working so very happy. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Glad to see that! Let us know if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet