Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow throughput

alexhulse
Dabbler

Slow throughput

Hi all
For a few days now, I've noticed that the throughput speed isn't exactly what i'm used to on my somewhat slow anyway line.
I finally got round to testing it with the BT tester today:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3068 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  952 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 740 kbps
MyBroadbandSpeed agrees with this sad state of affairs.
On ADSL Max I used to sync at 3500, but 2+ has eventually settled on 2500, having toyed with 4500 when I started, and going via the occasional 3500.
Has the DLM decided it doesn't like me?
17 REPLIES 17
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Slow throughput

We have seen a few throughput speed problems, there was a capacity issue on 21CN about 2 weeks ago affecting a lot of exchanges, that's been resolved but I'm wondering if some other exchanges are hitting capacity. Do you know if speed is nearer the normal speed outside of peak hours? Or is the same all the time?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
alexhulse
Dabbler

I've just run a MBS test again this morning, and it's about as fast as it should be.
Usertools doesn't show any capacity problems for my exchange (Worcester Central) but I guess 21CN is a different beast?
I'll test it again this evening.
Alex
jb5ep
Grafter

I'm on the Windsor exchange and am seeing a 60-70% drop in throughput from around 17:00 to 22:00 each day. I've raised a ticket, but am gathering some stats and ruling out other local factors before persuing further. This has only started happening in the last 3 weeks or so.
Cheers,
Jon
James
Grafter

There's a load of BT maintenance work coming up over the next month which I'm trying to get some further information on.
I'll get something posted when we've got further details.
alexhulse
Dabbler

Hmm. Seems quite a bit nippier tonight! I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days.
scootie
Grafter

friday nights tend to be quiet . so dosent surrpise me that your throughput was better
alexhulse
Dabbler

Having done a few speedtests the last few days, it does seem to be time dependant - slightly ironic given that BT's current advert says how their 21CN product means that "the whole world being online" won't affect them....
Is there some maintenance due that would affect throughput on the 21CN down to the Worcester Central exchange?
And to echo the comments of other users, given the relatively small numbers of users on 21CN at the moment, is this product ready to be rolled out at all - if the problem lies with BT, surely their infinitely fast network just isn't ready for customers yet? Unless the limit is from the (understandably) limited amount of capacity on the PN trial?
Alex
scootie
Grafter

dont know how many more customers have been moved on to the trial but we had a quote from dave a month ish ago about what capicty was avabliable to 21cn users and how much was in use and at the time there was plenty spare and also got him to show us what the packet drops was like for 21cn and the graph was flat.
i belive the capicty will be the same now as it was then as spotify still runs perfect on 21cn if capicty was tight on 21cn i would susspect spotifys p2p traffic to be effected just as it is on 20cn.
all i can say is ive been getting jumpy throughput at times since BTw did some matince work on the sheffield node a couple of weeks ago
James
Grafter

Pretty sure that we haven't had any latency issues during those times of the day.
I'll check with Dave.
lenseman
Grafter

Here we go again, despite pretty good sync speeds recently this morning my throughput as now dropped to unusable levels .
What is happening? I know its a trial but we are still paying for a service and at the moment I cant use it.
John B.
James
Grafter

Strange - nothing obvious causing that to happen.
Do you see the same when you reboot?
lenseman
Grafter

Hi James,
Due to the idiosyncrasies of ADSL2+ I try to avoid re-booting when possible, these readings are following a re-boot and are an improvement on what I was getting earlier this morning.
I have now just re-booted again and things have returned to normal. Following a disastrous nine weeks of slow speeds etc. I am very wary of even touching the router let alone re-booting it.
Let’s hope that things will settle down and remain stable.
John B.
gibbo72
Dabbler

I seem to be having some latency issues in the evenings apparently during the day too
The BTSpeedtest results are:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5729 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9536 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8000 Kbps
Is the IP Profile correct @ 8000? 
When I first transferred over, I was connected at 11K +
James
Grafter

Hi,
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with those speed results at all to be honest with you.
I've double checked and we're also profiling your line at the correct speed.