cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow throughput after holidays - router off for 2 weeks.

egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Slow throughput after holidays - router off for 2 weeks.

HI Joanne,
I have recently been on hols so the router was off for 2 weeks. Before we went my IP profile was around 1.8 meg and the download speed around 1.7 meg.
Since returning, the IP profile is back at 1.8 but the download speeds have dropped to 1.25 meg.
Plusnet site profile agrees with the BT profile.
During the month before we went away (month ending June 8th) I exceeded my 10 gig allowance due to updating the Garmin satnav, so I wonder if my speeds are being "throttled" ?
Hope Plusnet can find somethig wrong - its a pain being on such low speeds and every little bit you can get helps.
My line stats with regard to CRC and ES errors are sometimes high, as my neighbors Sky box causes a lot of those on my line when its switched on.
That slows throughput dramatically but the BT speedtests have been done when he has the box turned off.
Best regards, Geoff
12 REPLIES 12
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow throughput after holidays - router off for 2 weeks.

Have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required) which should at least match the BT IP profile?
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi there,
Yes the Plusnet figure is also 1.8.
Regards, Geoff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Both ours and BT's profile are now 1800 so you should be seeing nearer the mark now Smiley
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

OK, thanks.
Will try speedtest later as my neighbor is home at the moment and his Sky box is on, so that will slow the speed.
Will post result when I can test it.
Regards, Geoff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Why would your neighbour's Sky box slow down your speed?
Anotherone
Champion

Lot's of RFI causing noise margin to go low and lots and lots of errors, so data has to be frequently resent and this gives a lower throughput speed.
@Geoff
Doesn't your neighbour have problems with his broadband as a result? If your neighbour is paying a subscription to sky for that thing, he really should get onto them and complain about the problems it's causing - they should replace it FOC as it must be failing to comply with the relevant CE specs. If they are a bit stroppy about it, he could try threatening to refer the matter to OFCOM.
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi there,
I am aware of broadband problems caused by RFI (I'm a radio ham).
This is an ongoing problem and I have spoken informally to Ofcom, but the advice is that unless the interference affects radio receivers there is little they can do.
I have carried out tests with my neighbors assistance, and it definitely is the sky box.
Fortunately he turns it off when he is not at home.
Download speed is OK when its off but slows dramatically when on - massive CRC errors and SNR drops by 1.5Db. I run DMT to keep an eye on it.
Only hope in that direction is that the box will pack up soon LOL.
He doesn't have broadband.
Regards, Geoff
Anotherone
Champion

I still think he should try ringing sky if he's paying a subscription.
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Just done a Speedtest, the next door Skybox is off, SNR and CRC errors are good.
Still showing much lower than before holidays ( DL 1.7 ish and UL 0.38 ish)
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.3 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.84 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.23Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Any ideas ?
I'm sure Plusnet staff can check previous Speedtest results.
Geoff
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always have exactly the same problems when I switch my router off when I go on holiday, however I have an excellent phone line and my router ALWAYS syncs at 8128Kbps and my IP profile is always 8000Kbps, but as you say the actual download speedtest throughput drops off to almost nothing after a two week break.
I find that after four to seven days the download test throughput returns to normal, and nothing else like rebooting or gateway hopping seems to speed up that process.
It have been suggested that I might have a high resistance fault which only reveals itself when the phone line isn't used for a long period, and that on a future occasion I should phone home (before I get home) so that the high voltage ringing signal clears the line of stray oxidisation which may be affecting the cable.  If you have a mobile phone, it might be worth phoning your home phone number to see (on the off chance) whether that solution works.
Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's distinctly possible that DLM has set a higher target noise margin for your line (to compensate for the interference) which will give you a lower sync speed. So his box might be causing you a permanent loss of speed, not just the extra loss of speed when it is on.
What is the noise margin immediately after you resync when his Sky box is off?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: egeoffreydavies
...........Before we went my IP profile was around 1.8 meg and the download speed around 1.7 meg.
Since returning, the IP profile is back at 1.8 but the download speeds have dropped to 1.25 meg.............

Wink