cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Re: Slow speeds

I can't see what's wrong, here's another pic of mine from a slightly different angle:

Also, do you know if this new faceplate would be compatible with FTTC if I joined the trial? I believe that uses VDSL, not ADSL.
Thanks, Jonny
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you go on to FTTC an engineer will have to come and fit a new faceplate and install the VDSL modem.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not necessarily wrong just odd
It has two sets of connections for internal wiring which is what you usually get on a slave socket not a master socket
It appears to have 6 connectors in the socket (where the telephone goes in) mine only has 4
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Hey, since the last post I've left my router plugged in through the test socket, as the faceplate may have been faulty.
Initially the router was syncing at 28xx kbps, can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head. I've not unplugged anything since but checking this morning my router now has a sync speed of 1149 kbps; here's the full stats:
Data rate(Kbps)   1149Kb 440Kb
Noise Margin      10    23
Output power(dBm) 126    162
Attenuation(dB)  49    27

Any ideas?
Cheers, Jonny
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jonnybarnes,
Your line has been banded up to 1148k so that's the maximum sync you'll see. I'll contact our suppliers and see if I can get that raised a bit, so make sure you leave it in the test socket and I'll get back to you when It's done.
Jojo Smiley
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Not necessarily wrong just odd
It has two sets of connections for internal wiring which is what you usually get on a slave socket not a master socket
It appears to have 6 connectors in the socket (where the telephone goes in) mine only has 4

Nothing odd about it, just that its an older faceplate than the one you have oldjim and if you look at the photo of the master socket its got the old BT logo from before the piper logo so I am guessing its from the 80's.
In that situation I would try fitting a NTE2000 faceplate splitter and see if it improves things.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jonnybarnes,
We're still monitoring this while it's in the test socket. We will call you when you can move it from there but for now please leave it where it is, We expect to know more in 24-48 hours.
Jojo Smiley
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Cheers for the reply, it's been in the test socket since friday, so no harm leaving it in there another day or two.
There's been a whole host of information posted on the ticket thread that made no sense to me. Though it has been connected to the test socket since the 6th if that makes any difference to the results.
Cheers, Jonny.
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Hello Jojo. The ticket system has a new post saying that my connection is stable.
The suggested route forward is to try an SNR reset and to continue to monitor the situation with the test socket still being used. That is fine with me.
Cheers, Jonny.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jonny,
I'll set about getting the banding lifted now and get back to you once I know more.
Jojo Smiley
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo.
Jonny
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jonnybarnes,
The banding has now been lifted. We will continue to monitor the connection. The ip profile should lift in the next 2 hours.
Jojo Smiley
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Hey, our router refused to connect for a minute there, though still showed us as having a WAN IP address. It now has a down sync speed of 3682kbps. I shall run a speed test in a few hours to see if the IP profile has risen at all.
Jonny
jonnybarnes
Dabbler

Hello, the router sync speed is still 3682kbps.
Did a speed test and got:

So I don't think our IP profile has started to rise yet.
Jonny
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jonny,
I'll run a check now but don't be tempted to reboot at all.
Jojo Smiley