cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

jasper
Dabbler

Slow speeds

Wondering what has happened to my broadband speed?

It was up around 50mb, Now at just over 20mb.

Current Contract

Unlimited Fibre Extra inc. Line rental

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow speeds

@jasper You have a network problem is what has happened to your speed. 😉 I can't tell from those two screen shots where the problem may lie, but I  suggest you report the issue, either by the automated tool found in the 'Help & Support' pages, or at https://faults.plus.net

John
John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

If you can private message me your account username, I'll be happy to take a look at this for you

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for providing us with the account username @Jasper, and I too am really sorry to hear that you're having speed issues with your service. Tests on the line have uncovered a potential fault, so I've just raised a ticket for you to do some troubleshooting and to respond to in order to arrange an engineer visit if needs be. 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jasper
Dabbler

Thank you Adam, much appreciated.

jasper
Dabbler

Hello Adam,

Where can i find the requested information required?

jab1
Legend

@jasper What information have you been asked for/what have you been asked to do?

John
jasper
Dabbler

Hi,

The post by Adam said a ticket had been raised for me to do some trouble shooting and to respond.

jab1
Legend

Ah - got you. To get access to the ticket, log into your account, and there should be a banner saying something to the effect that you have an open ticket, across the landing page.

John
jasper
Dabbler

Hello John,

Nope... no banner here: https://www.plus.net/member-centre/home

jab1
Legend

I feared you might come back and say that - the ticket system appears to be in a state of total disarray. Try this: while still logged into your account, open Plusnet in a a NEW tab, and see if you can find a recent ticket in there - it may be closed though, as the system appears to not recognise when tickets should be left open. Let me know how you get on.

John
jasper
Dabbler

Hello John,

i have removed the faceplate, and plugged the micro filter and "phone wire" directly into the master socket to router, restarted the router, and wired in a laptop directly into one of the router ports. Still the speed is 24.98 DL,13.94 UL. This has fluctuated some times back up to 44 ish, but not consistently, without me doing anything. 

jab1
Legend

OK, I don't know exactly what is on the troubleshooting tips - never had to go that way myself as I have enough experience to be able to bypass 'official' instructions, but it sounds to me like there is a fault on the BT/OR network. Hopefully, @adam945 or one of the other Help Team members will pick this up and raise it with BT/OR direct.

John
jasper
Dabbler

Thank you John,

I had noticed that, when leaving the router on, the network uptime is less that the system uptime. So the network is dropping somewhere.

jab1
Legend

Another indication of a BT network issue. As a point of note, you should never turn the modem/router off, unless specifically requested to - this can lead to the Dynamic Line Management system thinking there is a problem, and therefore reducing the speed/banding the line.

John