cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds when gaming

felixh97

Slow speeds when gaming

For the past few weeks my speed while playing any online games has dropped significantly. It becomes so slow that i cannot play at all. Compared to times my ping, upload and download speeds are still around the same as the past few years where gaming has been fine. Just tested and download is 1713.9 kB/s, Upload 114.6 kB/s and 32 ping. I thought it might be something to do with going over monthly usage but i am on unlimited contract. Anyway i decided to wait till end of paying month, my months usage has reset today and gaming is still impossible.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow speeds when gaming

The first question is what speeds do you get normally and the next is whether that is wired or wireless and finally why are those speeds causing you gaming problems as they equate to 13,711 kbps down 916.8 kbps up or are you mixing bits (b) and bytes (B)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Duplicate post on Gaming board removed leaving this topic to be investigated as a possible speed issue.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
felixh97

Sorry wasn't sure where to post.
felixh97

These speeds are around the same speed i have been getting for the past year +, which is why i cant understand why my ping jumps between 100-900. This is a wireless connection predominantly, but i have already tested it with a 2m ethernet cable. I have attached a photo of me testing my speeds from today where the gaming connection is bad back until June 2nd 2015 where it was currently very good.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So your problem is ping not speeds although that wasn't clear from the opening post
Which game or games are you having problems with
Regarding speeds
Please post the results from the BT speedtest - further diagnostics - see speed sticky at the top of this board and also Current Line Speed - see my sig for the link
felixh97

To be honest, i have no idea what the problem is other wise i would have been more specific in the opening post. I only mentioned ping because of playing games like call of duty where it shows ping, while play mainly call of duty it shows ping being 20 for a few seconds then jumping up to 999 and numbers in between. I also get a 'connection interrupted' pop up until i am discounted.
BT speed test says that: i can get 63Mb-80Mb and minimum guaranteed is 54Mb.
For the test line speed in your sig i get given this statement:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
15.4 Mb
Let me know if im not giving the correct data?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

HI not sure which BT speed test you did but it looks more like the one they use to see what packages you can get not an actual one to test the connection you need to use this one here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
ignore the red writing just tick the box for yes and run the test when it finishes pick further diagnostics enter your phone number and paste the results here

felixh97

Sorry, thought that the one i did wasn't much of a speed test. I have attached the results i got from the link you gave. How can i check if its a problem within the control center so that i can supposedly change the settings myself?
scottymc
Grafter

Mate you sure you have a fibre connection ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As suggested above - you are not on fibre
felixh97

Yeah, i'm not on fiber and the speed isn't really the issue. It has been that speed for a very long time and has been fine to game on. I just want to work out why it has suddenly become impossible to play online?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you try disconnecting all other devices/computers/consoles except for the one you're using. Try gaming then and see what it's like.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
felixh97

The situation seems to have improved but still not great, i seem to be able to play for about 30 minutes but then i will be disconnected from games for a few minutes. I have tried disconnection all devices but this made no difference.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Between 4-5pm and 5-6pm yesterday (around the time of your post) there was around 200MB of upload each hour, on your upload speed this represents the upload being used quite substantially during that time. That's why I suggested turning off other devices, in case something else was backing up or uploading data that you weren't aware of.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.