cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds since leaving router switched off overnight

abey9
Dabbler

Slow speeds since leaving router switched off overnight

Hi, I joined Plusnet a couple of weeks ago. For the first week or so I was getting speeds of around 2.5 down, 0.4 up, same as with my previous provider Sky:
(I know it says sky broadband, but the speeds were basically same for the first week after the connection was transferred to plusnet)

But a few days ago I accidentally left my router switched off overnight. Since then my speeds have dropped significantly, to the point that I can't even watch youtube without horrible buffering. Current speed test results:

My current stats show I am syncing at only a third of the speed I was before leaving the router switched off overnight:

I presume this is a DLM issue. I have been switching my router on and off again twice a day as recommended by Plusnet, but I seem to be stuck on this lower speed. Is there any way to have the speed reset back to the higher level?
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow speeds since leaving router switched off overnight

Hi abey9,
Your profile is set to 1250 on both our side and BTs side. I'd recommend leaving the router connected and powered for a couple of days to make sure the connection is stable and if so, try rebooting sometime between 10:30am and 3pm to see if your sync speed rises. If it does and you remain connected at that rate the profile should uplift automatically within the next couple of days.
abey9
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi abey9,
Your profile is set to 1250 on both our side and BTs side. I'd recommend leaving the router connected and powered for a couple of days to make sure the connection is stable and if so, try rebooting sometime between 10:30am and 3pm to see if your sync speed rises. If it does and you remain connected at that rate the profile should uplift automatically within the next couple of days.

Tried your advice (twice), slight improvement but still limited to a paltry 1.6megs compared to the 2.5 I was getting before:
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks like BT's DLM has increased you target noise margin to 12dB, because it perceives you line as unstable or having an excessive number of transmission errors. Unfortunately that reduces the achievable sync speed, and hence the IP Profile and download speeds.
How frequently did you restart the router when you were trying to increase speeds?
David
abey9
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
How frequently did you restart the router when you were trying to increase speeds?
Just twice a day, as recommended by Plusnet
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi abey9,
Even though your synchronisation speed and line profile seem to be OK according to checks I have just done there is maximum stable rate set against your connection which is below 1.5mb. In case you were not aware this is the maximum speed your connection should be able to perform at without causing issues such as disconnections.
With this in mind I have performed an SNR reset which will restart the 10 to 14 day line training period to recalculate this figure, this should set a more appropriate MSR that should be closer to your synchronisation speed. Where as rebooting your router just a couple of times per day as recommended by Matt I would advise avoiding this altogether if you can during the training period, hopefully this should then go towards getting you some improved speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
abey9
Dabbler

It's getting worse and worse  Sad

Any idea what is happening?
scootie
Grafter

whats your internal wiring like, be as deatiled as you can inclued any sky box's ect connected to your line. 
looking at the drop in your line attention from 52 to 48db looks as thoe your either on the 21cn product or your internal wiring is effecting things. thoe my monneys on you being on the adsl2+ (21cn) product as drops in sync speed on this product act the same way with the attention reading
abey9
Dabbler

OK, after a router reboot I'm syncing at 2976kbps again and  download speeds back up to 1.92Mbit. Guess that's as good as it's going to get.  Undecided
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good morning abey9,
I have just checked your account again for you and according to a line test the SNR reset I performed did not lead to any changes. I have submitted another one for you, this should now start the 10-14 day line training period and should set a default 2mb line profile within the next 4 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
abey9
Dabbler

Just to update - this problem never got solved, still getting slow speeds, varying from 0.75MB to maximum 1.5MB if I'm lucky. But never mind, I am moving house next week so will keep fingers crossed that the new line does not have the same problem.  Cheesy
My question is this - how do I contact Plusnet to get my broadband moved to the new address? The Moving Guide just points you towards the general 'contact us' page, but I can't see which option I should pick from there to email plusnet about the house move.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It looks as though they like you to phone
Alternatively follow these steps to raise a ticket
Start here http://www.plus.net/wizard/?helpheader=helpassistant and select Account Management under Customer Services and Billing
Then Moving Home or Office then close the window which pops up and you will see this where you can click on  Alternatively, ask your Question to the Support Team and then you are there
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Abey9,
As Oldjim suggests you are fine to raise this on a ticket. It is entirely up to you but I advise customers to call us to do this. This helps to keep things transparent, make sure that you are aware of the processes we can follow, that a reasonable expectation is set and that we have gained all the necessary information we need from you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: abey9
I am moving house next week

On 'eck! It would have been better if you had started sorting this out a bit earlier - I think you are going to face a bit of time with no internet. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

On 'eck!
surely you mean by 'eck, trying to fit in with us Sheffielder's there Jelv? Wink
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team