cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds - really getting annoying now

Footys
Grafter

Slow speeds - really getting annoying now

I`m on the Plusnet Pro 19.99 package because I need a fast connection all the time but just lately my speeds have been terrible.  My router is synched at around 4 -5 meg normally but the speeds I get even at off peak times are useless.  case in point:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/125906383479092712664.html
That was at midday today.  I`d really appreciate it if anyone had any ideas as to what might be causing these lousy speeds?  Or is it just plusnet?
Uptime: 0 days, 11:51:30
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,192
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 7.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 11,278
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 63
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 61
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Slow speeds - really getting annoying now

Your SNR is very high which suggests you have been having problems with your line. What does the BT speed tester say for your current IP Profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Footys
Grafter

BT Speedtester says my profile is 3000 - how would I go about getting my SNR reduced? And would that help with speeds?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Firstly, in view of the latest service status email, if your speeds are really dire I'd suggest a disconnect reconnect to try different gateways.
The way to get your target SNRM reduced is to stay connected with minimal errors and no unexpected disconnections for a few weeks (around 4 is I think normal).
Footys
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jelv.  The problem I have is that my router only seems to stay connected for a few days and then reconnects at a different synch speed.  I`m not sure why this is?Huh
Footys
Grafter

Jelv, I just checked my router and it was synched at 5000 - I ran a few speedtests and could get nothing faster than 0.5.  So I restarted the router and this time it synched at 3900 and my speedtest results are now around the 2.5 meg mark.  This is the sort of thing that seems to be happening.  If I restart my router during the day it sycnhs at a higher speed and works ok until peak times and if I restart it at peak times it synchs at a much lower speed.  Do I really have to wait 4 weeks to have my snr reduced?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You've got a problem! The BT systems are doing what they are supposed to do.
When your router first connects to the exchange it negotiates the fastest speed it can whilst keeping the noise margin at (or above) the target (as sync speeds increase the noise margin reduces). At night there tends to be more background noise (radio waves transmit better and extra electrical equipment comes on which might generate noise) so the margin (the difference between the background noise and the ADSL signal reduces). Normally this variation is up to 3db, so with the default 6db target the margin stays above 3. If however the margin drops near to zero the router and the exchange can't hear each other due to the background noise and they drop the connection to resync at a lower speed to give a higher margin. If this happens several times BT increase the target so that it can cope with a larger drop in the margin without dropping the line.
Firstly I'd suggest you don't at the moment sync during the day to get the faster speed. I'd suggest you need to try to get it to sync around the middle of the range to give you reasonable speeds and hope that it then hangs on during the evening without dropping. If you can avoid the drops things will move in the right direction.
What you need to do is to try to find out what causes the noise margin to drop. This could well be due to some other piece of electrical equipment turning on. For example Christmas tree lights are an absolute classic*. If RouterStats or RouterStats lite (http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm) will run for your router it will give you a graph of the noise margin which may help identify the cause.

[me=jelv]wins the prize for being the first to post the tree lights suggestion in the Christmas 2009 season![/me]