cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds, frequent disconnections overnight.

mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Slow speeds, frequent disconnections overnight.

Well, I'm here again because of a drop in my broadband performance. I've not been checking avidly, but recent difficulty in uploading videos, and watched videos freezing with the little circle of dots doing the rounds, has made me log into the Technicolor Gateway now and then, and in the 'Broadband' or 'DSL' section I've kept seeing 'Uptime: 0 days, 8:28:04' or something to that effect, but always '0 days', which points to DSL dropouts when I'm asleep or at work. This is only a problem if my speeds are lowered because of it, and now they have been. While before today I could improve the upload speed with a 'gentle' disconnect, this morning my download speed was only 4Mbps but your own pages displaying my 'current' line speed still showed 8.5Mb. This evening the performance is still the same, but now your page shows my current line speed has dropped to 4.4Mb. My upload speed is only around 0.3Mbps when it is usually 0.6 or 0.7Mbps. 

I can see there are quite a few posts describing frequent drop-outs and slow speeds. Is something going off? 

The information I'm usually asked to provide is included below. 

Cheers, Mick.

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  4.21 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.21 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.47 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.44 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Estimated line speed: There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:4.4 Mb

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:31:34
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 528 / 5,074
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 733.48 / 3.29
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.2 / 20.3
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 44.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 8.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 70 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 14,256 / 34
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 294 / 1,159,696
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 20 / 610
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 933
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow speeds, frequent disconnections overnight.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any obvious cause but I can see you've started reporting a fault online.

If you finish that by going here our Faults team can get this looked into for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes I started the fault reporting process after spotting the link to the web page on someone else's post about slow speeds and drop-outs, but then found the step-by-step process takes me through re-booting the router, which I assume for the best needs a soft disconnect from within the Technicolor Gateway before pulling the plug, and I simply hadn't the time to go through that when I started the report. On the evening of Friday 19th and this morning Saturday 20th May, my upload and download speeds are back to where they should be for my type of connection, about 8.5Mbps down and a middling 0.5Mbps up (better last night) but a quick login to the Gateway shows the most recent disconnection from the internet was 22 hours ago. Every time I've taken the trouble to look in recent weeks, I've always only been connected for a matter of hours, never days, and I think this is why I had trouble updating my TomTom sat nav a few weeks ago, which ended up being corrupted for about a week, with it saying 'No Maps Found' after a map update either overnight or while I was at work, which was a real problem. So I think I'm going to have to complete the report process soon to see if there is an issue causing by drop outs creating problems like the corrupted maps or temporary slow-downs in my connection speeds. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our suppliers systems are down for maintenance until 5pm so you won't be able to report it until then.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team