cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds during evening

cr212

Slow speeds during evening

I'm seeing good speeds at off-peak hours (6 - 6.7 Mb/s download) at off peak times (6am-8am for example), but of an evening, I'm getting much more variable and worse download speeds - 1.1 Mb/s - 2.9 Mb/s.  (This makes watching iPlayer and the like stop to buffer)
Is this much of a decrease "normal" due to congestion, or would this be considered a fault?  I'm on ADSL 20CN, my exchange is Cheveley, which I note is at Amber VP status:  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Cheveley&exact=3402&plugin=vp
What are other peoples experience of the difference in range between peak and off-peak times?
Will try another router tomorrow, but given that I get good bandwidth at off-peak times, I don't think a different router is going to make a difference - this feels like BT Wholesale bandwidth problems at the exchange.  Would service in the 1-2 Mb/s range be considered "acceptable" and they're unlikely to do anything, or are they likely to do something about it?
Details:
Router: BiPac7800N
Line speed (from plus.net): 7.15 Mb/s
From Router (as of 8am, when I get good download speed):
Upstream 832
Downstream 7968
SNR Margin(Upstream) 9.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 8.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 21.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 45.0
BT Wholesale speedtest (at 8am):
Donwload: 6.75 Mb/s
Upload: 0.68
Ping: 35 ms
If I click on 'Further diagnostics' I get a similar download speed, but:  Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

5 REPLIES 5
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds during evening

If the VPs are amber for your exchange, this will more than likely be the cause of your reduced speeds. Plusnet should be able to give your an ETA for the VPs to be fixed.
Sometimes when an exchange is due to be upgraded to 21CN, the 20CN network in the exchange won't be upgraded because it will essentially be redundant once 21CN is in place. It doesn't look like there are any 21CN plans for your exchange yet.
Fibre broadband might be coming to you in next year or so - http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/parish/cheveley/ You can contact the Connecting Cambridgeshire people and ask about the plans for your specific area http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/the-plan/lbp/ ;
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi cr212,
I'm really sorry to hear of this issue. How long as this been ongoing?
cr212

This has been on and off for a few months now.  Will post speeds this evening to compare.
cr212

Seems absolutely fine this evening - 6.1Mb/s.  Odd, it's been consistently slow in the evenings before.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cr212,
If the problem persists don't hesitate to let us know or you can raise a fault if the speeds drop dramatically.