cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds, dropouts and crackling phone line :(

dfects
Grafter

Slow speeds, dropouts and crackling phone line :(

Hiya, I've been with plusnet for about 2 and a half years now, and through that time our ADSL connection has been rock solid at 6.5mbps down and 1mpbs up with no disconnects. The last 1-2 weeks have been rough though, with occasional disconnects and slower speeds.

Our profile is now set to 4mpbs and we can barely get 0.3mpbs up Sad tonight, its struggled to get any DSL connection at all and it took about 5 tries to get a dial tone on our phone.

Can anyone help? Sad

10 REPLIES 10
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Slow speeds, dropouts and crackling phone line :(

I would suggest you log a phone fault with your phone provider as the noise on the line will affect your ADSL connection. When the voice issue is fixed that should hopefully solve the ADSL issue. 

DO NOT mention the bad ADSL connection, get the phone fault fixed first.

Assuming Plusnet are your phone provider, then the phone troubleshooting guide is at https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Morning, 

I've ran a test on your phone line(the low speed is most likely a result of the phone issues) and a fault is showing, it is external so no appointment is required, the estimated response time is Thursday but these kind of issues can be fixed earlier than expected in some cases.

I'll raise a ticket to our faults team to monitor this for you 

dfects
Grafter

Thank you so much for picking this up quickly.

I made a quick video before I saw this of how bad it is. This is with the phone plugged directly into the master socket.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ggx4ktpoMngPPTqMA

Strangely the next call I did had static but nowhere near as bad I could actually hear the response Sad

I know maybe 1-2 months ago they swapped our old rusty cabinet with a new shiney one ready for fibre so maybe they missed something then.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

It could possibly be that, I've checked on the fault just now and the fault location has been amended to be in the exchange itself, an issue with the main distribution frame. 

As soon as more info is available I'll make sure you know 

dfects
Grafter

I'm not sure if the fault has been looked into yet, but the phone line finally became clear after 2-3 days of being nothing but static.

The upload speed has also gone back close to 1mpbs, but our download speed is stuck at about 2.73mpbs after a modem reboot Sad Really hoping it gets back to 6-6.5mbps

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The phone fault is showing as 'clear' now, so I'm just looking at the broadband issue.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Your line is now syncing at 5656, giving a profile of 4900. The SNR is a little high probably due to the phone fault, so I'm going to reset that now and you should get a little more out of your line shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dfects
Grafter

Thanks for looking into this Chris, appreciated! It looks like I'm back up to downloading around 600kbs Smiley Thats a big improvement over the 340kbs max I had last night.

Is it likely the line may stable out a bit more over the next few days to its old speed? It used to be around 650kbs. I'm not sure if the profiles adjust periodically.

Thanks,

Ste

Chris
Legend

It may slightly increase, I've just checked and the reset has completed with the profile at 6000 now.

dfects
Grafter

Thanks again for your help Smiley And Darkfire of course.