cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

Hi cheekorobbins,
Yes, firstly try plugging the filter into the test socket and see what your connection rate is.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Re-connected to the engineers socket, the router hadn't disconnected in 36 hours.
DownStream Connection Speed 1148 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 444 kbps
Not great.

The router settings are on automatic, it gets the IP address and DNS from the ISP automatically, should I put specific addresses in there or is it fine as it is?
Thanks again for your help.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
leave it in the test socket and I'll see if I can get the banding lifted and see how the line performs.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
I've just managed to get that lifted and they inform me the profile will be lifting to 3000 in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
dhep1957
Grafter

Dont blame yourself it will be plusnet they deliberatally do this to save money, I cannot think of any other explanation.
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

I think that's a little harsh, whilst some of the initial help I got over the phone was pretty dubious and they just seemed determined to sell me a router rather than help me, Joanne has been very helpful and patient on these forums and is doing an excellent job tackling the problem and actually getting stuff done.
My neighbours have a 20mb Virgin broadband connection and they haven't got a password on their wifi so I can check their speed and it's no fast than what I'm getting now(last time I checked my speedtest was 1.25mbs). If I was in London then I wouldn't accept it but I'm down the end of Cornwall and not everyone can even get broadband down here so you have to work with what you get and hope you can find someone who knows what they're doing to help you out.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
Did what we do yesterday work for you?
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

It's synching at 3000 or thereabouts and the speed had improved this morning when I checked, hopefully it'll remain stable, I'll post an update of the speed I'm getting at the start of next week.
Thanks.
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Hi,
Thought I'd update on the result of this. My internet is up to speed now!
BT engineer never came round to do anything as I can't get an appointment for when I'm not at work but I did manage to replace my router, it's been pretty stable since then but limited to about 136k/s constantly.
Then the other day the connection dropped and reconnected and all of a sudden I'm getting 1.5mbs(megabytes, not bits, that's the actual file download rate) download speeds and it's remained the same since.
Brilliant!
Not sure what fixed it but looks like everything's working.

Thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent, glad it's sorted Smiley