cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

Hi,
I've gone through my entire setup, it's coming straight from the wall socket through a microfilter and a short cable to my router. Router has been reset to factory defaults and setup cleanly. I submitted a report to plusnet and was informed there's no problems with my line so I'm not sure what to do next, suggestions welcome, here are the speed test results.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 224 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9060 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.44:21.69:69.88 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
When I connected earlier the DSL connection rate was at about 16000 Kbps but I've had this for about 3 weeks now and it's never been higher than 360Kbps in the tests, web pages are noticably slow to load.
Many thanks.
39 REPLIES 39
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

Is your telephone plugged in to the filter? Do you have any other sockets and if so is anything plugged in to them also filtered?
When you use the telephone is there nay noise on the line?
Do you leave your router turned on all the time? If not how often do you turn it on and off? If you leave it on all the time how long does the router say it has been connected for?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Just the one socket and I don't have a house phone so nothing else is plugged in but I don't know if the line is noisy.
I turn the router off during the day and at night, when it's on it stays on though, I've not had issues being kicked off and I play online on the xbox 360 regularly  so I'd notice if I got knocked off that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Firstly you need to borrow a telephone handset and check the line. If that is noisy you need to get that corrected first as ADSL won't work properly over a poor line and you'll get a quicker resolution reporting the problem as a voice fault to whoever you pay for your line rental. After fixing a voice fault the broadband will sort itself out after a couple of days.
Secondly turning your router on and off a lot can be interpreted by the stupid BT systems as instability, they will then keep progressively slowing it down to try and make it more stable. The best is to leave the router on continuously, second best is to turn it on during the daytime when you first need it and then turn it off last thing at night.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Okay, I'll get hold of a phone today and check the line, I rent the line from Plusnet but a BT engineer came round to install it, if it is bad do I report it to Plusnet or BT?
Regarding keeping the router on, that'll teach me to try and be environmentally friendly and turn everything off all the time! I'll stick it on it's own plug socket and leave it on on its own. At least for long enough to give it some time to get the line up to speed anyway.
Thanks for your help.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI cheekorobbins,
A phone fault would be reported to us directly. I'll take a look at your issue and see what I can come up with.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI cheekorobbins,
I've just tried running a line check but you're not in sync. I take it your router is off, so give me a shout when it's back on so I can do some tests.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Yes, the router is off, I'll turn it back on when I get home tonight.
Thanks!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
That explains that then! I'll try and look in later but if you post when you're online it'll help me to remember.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

It's on now and I'll leave it connected.
Just did a speedtest to check and it's the same as ever:-
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Did a quick test this morning to see if that made any difference but it was the same again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
I've just ran a line test and your sync is now 8793k so once the DLM picks that up your profile will lift to 7150, just need to wait for that now.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

That's fantastic, I'll post in here once it picks up, thanks so much for taking the time to look at it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI cheekorobbins,
I'll have a check before 5.30 and see how it is then. Our profile can take up to 24 hours to update so I can change that manually if the BT one picks up.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

The line is running better now, I couldn't get a connection on my laptop from the router for some reason this morning(wifi was working on my phone though) so restarted it and now it's upto 1.7mb from the previous 350K, the router appears to be synching at about 4400K now, should I just leave it like that to give it time to stay on?
Plusnet support also called me to say that my router may be causing problems as it was repeatedly disconnecting on Monday but that was when I was resetting the router, it's working much better now and didn't disconnect yesterday at all so I'll just leave it on until next week and keep an eye on the speed progress, I'll post test results in here this evening.
Speed is much more usable now though so thanks for your help, it's great to get support and it actually fix something! There's so many variables when it comes to internet connections.