Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds, decreasing router sync speed

soverson
Dabbler

Slow speeds, decreasing router sync speed

HI Guys
I have been having problems with d/l speed for 2 weeks now, and resorted last weekend to plugging the router into the master socket, with no other equipment connected.
I was amazed when the router sync speed went up to 3700 KBPS and BT BRAS profile up to 3000, and my download speed on the morning of the 3rd day was up to 2500 KBPS.
However, by the evening of the 3rd day, my download speed had dropped back to 135 KBPS, even though the BT profile was still 3000, and the router sync speed had fallen back to 1250 KBPS. Yesterday, the router sync speed had dropped still further, so I resorted to re-booting the rooter, which, although it improved my download speed to about 300 KBPS, the router sync speed has dropped to about 500 KBPS.
Has anybody got any suggestions why this thing is fluctuating so much? I have an open ticket with the 1st line PN support team, but they still haven't pinned it down to anything in particular. I am using a replacement (new) router plugged straight into the master socket, and it is bugging me that this problem is not going away!! Sad
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Stuart
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow speeds, decreasing router sync speed

Can you try using the test socket for your router and phone
soverson
Dabbler

Hi  Jim
I have been plugged into the test socket for the last few days, which got speeds up to 2.5Mb for about 8 hours on the third day, but it then dropped right back to 138Kb again the same evening while still in the test socket.
Cheers
Stuart
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Stuart,
I suspect you are just going to have to wait for the fault team to either track it down or get BT out but if you can post the stats from your router (attenuation, noise margin and speeds) we might have a better idea as to what is going on.
While we are at it which router do you have
soverson
Dabbler

Hi jim,
It is a Thomson Gateway supplied by PN recently to eliminate my existing router as a possible cause.
Here are the stats below:-
Uptime: 0 days, 9:47:17
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 480
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 15.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 55.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 14.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 21 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 62 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 53 / 7,564,875
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 53 / 1,111
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 469

Cheers
Stuart
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Csn you install Routerstats  http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and see if you can get to this screen (you may need to enable telnet first in the configuration tab - the one which looks like a gear wheel) Ignore the fact thst I am using an older version - I can't be bothered to update it.
soverson
Dabbler

Hi Jim
I have donwnloaded router stats, and can get the basic graphs for noise and download speed working ok, but the Telnet router screen is blank, despite changing the Experimanetal Tab to Broadcom.
I think that if I could get this open, I would be able to reduce my signal to noise margin which would hopefully increase the speed.
As a reminder, my router is a Thomson TG585 v7.
Any suggestions on how to set the Telnet screen up to get it working?
Cheers
Stuart
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I saw this on another forum 
The default login is 'Administrator' with no password.  It seems that RouterStats won't send a blank password, so I changed the password on the ST585 to a non-blank value, and it logs in without a problem.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Alternatively, check the "This router does not require a username" box. That works for me.
David
soverson
Dabbler

I changed the router password, which has now resulted in some info appearing in the Terminal screen, but every command (ifconfig etc.) results in 'Unknown command' being returned, so I still can't get any info to appear in the summary screen.
Also, I powered down the router yesterday in order to disconnect the bell wire in the master socket, and when I re-booted I was up to 2.5Mb download speed, with router syncing at 3.0Mb and SNR of 9.5dB.
This morning, router sync speed has dropped to 1.4Mb and SNR has dropped to 3.0dB?
Any ideas why this might be?
Thanks for your help so far.
Cheers
Stuart
soverson
Dabbler

sorry, I have checked routerStats and it was picking up the wrong figure for the noise - it is actually 16dB, which makes sense now that the d/l speed has dropped to 1.4mB.
If I can get Telnet working then hopefully I can tweak the SNR ratio to a lower figure and see if d/l speeds increase again.
It is getting better though  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Bad news - you can't tweak the noise margin on that router - Thompson blocked it