cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds and shared phone line

Fad
Dabbler

Slow speeds and shared phone line

I've just moved further out of town and was warned my connection would be worse due to the distance from the exchange but after three weeks its about 0.4 meg Cry
Anyway i've just checked the phone line coming into the house to see if it was an old line and noticed the line goes next door and is then split from a box into both mine and my neighbours house  Undecided  i've heared of this in flats etc but not a row of terraced houses!
i get both phone and dsl from plusnet do you think they can BT to sort it out as im sharing my bandwidth with next door!  Angry
cheers.
16 REPLIES 16
x47c
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds and shared phone line

A multi-line incomming BT cable will be going to the junction box on the wall.
From there the individual lines to each property are split out and each taken to the various BT master sockets (NTE5) usually in the hall.
BT will put these distribution points at the most convienent place.  On a terraced house wall indeed sounds quite likely - at the top of a telegraph pole is common in more rural areas.
You are not sharing your bandwidth or phone line with anyone else.
You line may well go back to the exchange via several of these junction boxes and a street cabinet and at each point it is joined up to a larger cable comprising many hundreds of lines within it.
Without knowing a lot more detail it is impossible to say whether your current speed is right for the property's distance from the exchange.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Fad,
As x47c says, you won't be sharing your line. You attenuation of 61dB, so the line is quite long. your BT and plusnet profiles are both 1000, so you should be getting close to that. Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into? Your current SNR is 11dB, so if we can get that lower we could potentially increase your speed.
Jojo Smiley
Fad
Dabbler

Cheers for that, i thought it was a DACS box. i'm home now so i'll open the master and have a look. During the speed trial period it did hit 1.6 meg but ever since its been 0.4  Sad  We don't use any extension cables although its used to have one that isn't connected to the master any more.
cheers.
Fad
Dabbler

the speedtester result through the test socket....
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.69 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.66 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1 Mbps
plusnet speedtest.....
Telephone number:

Phone exchange:
    TODMORDEN
Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-04-10 19:56:03
Current line speed:
    1 Mb
not really any difference through the test socket although for some reason the plusnet test reports our old phone number?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Fad,
Don't worry about the old line check, it's just historical data. There is a big change there though as your sync rate has increased, which will increase your speed. Have you left it in the test socket? If you let me know that it's still in there I'll reset the SNR to try and give it a bigger lift.
Jojo Smiley
Fad
Dabbler

cheers for this  Smiley yeah i've left it in the test socket and will leave it in until tomorrow afternoon if that helps. could you turn interleaving off as well as i use the connection for online gaming.
thx again.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

could you turn interleaving off

Sure, that should go through tomorrow.
FYI in case anyone's interested; when a line is "DACS'ed" and broadband is ordered BT's records there's already a note on BT's system which in turn flags up a delay on the order, stopping it from progressing until that's removed. That's then down to the ISP to keep their customer informed of the progress of the DACS removal before broadband is provided.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Fad
Dabbler

cheers for that, just in time for an xbox live session on friday night  Cheesy  Cool
Fad
Dabbler

hmmm, just went to use the phone and it knocked the router out of sync and the phone had an intermittent dial tone  Undecided it reconnected strait away after i hung up.
gonna go look for a spare filter in case this ones faulty.
modem stats atm through the test socket...
DSL Status:  Up  
      DSL Modulation Mode:  GDMT  
      DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED  
      Downstream Rate:  1856 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:  6 db  
      Upstream Margin:  19 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:  61  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:  31
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yep, do try changing the filters around. If you do and the noise is still there even when the router is unplugged there could be a fault but fingers crossed it may be a faulty filter instead.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Fad
Dabbler

i've changed the filter and using the phone no longer knocks the modem out of sync although the intermittent dial tone is still there. i unplugged the router and plugged the phone line directly into the test socket and its still there.
both phone and broadband does work though  Shocked
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fad,
the intermittent dial tone means you have a message. Dial 1571 to retrieve it.
Jojo Smiley
Fad
Dabbler

cheers for that jo, feel a right berk now lol  Embarrassed
anyways hopefully the filter was just dodgy as it was quite old  Smiley
Fad
Dabbler

lol, the phone message that made me think my broadband was about to melt was actually from plusnet informing me my phone and broadband had been activated  Grin
anyways thanks for all the help as things look much much better now  Smiley

DSL Status:   Up  
      DSL Modulation Mode:   GDMT  
      DSL Path Mode:   FAST  
      Downstream Rate:   2176 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:   6 db  
      Upstream Margin:   18 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   62  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:   31
it looks like the faulty filter probably messed up my profile during the training period and i think i'll replace the master socket as the previous tenant couldn't unplug a phone and just ripped the cable out leaving a mangled plug stuck in the socket  Roll_eyes
thx again  Cool