cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds......AGAIN

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Slow speeds......AGAIN

I'm back again with another with another slow speeds topic. I've been getting speeds from 0.3-1.5mbs past few days and well was hoping PlusNet can do a SNR Reset for me which somewhat worked last time.
Below are my router stats that show the routers max achieveable speeds being 4mb which could be 7mb. Also if I may from my experience with my previous ISP being O2 in my previous flat (which was in then same block of flats as my current one in fact only a few doors away), I was with them for a good few years and I've never had a speed issue during that time and believe me i use to turn my router off many times but my line speeds would always hit 8mb no matter. But ever since I'm moved here it seems my line or plusnet or whatever is so sensitive to the point if your line drops even a few times my speeds get capped. Why is that?

Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 11:08:29
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,135 / 4,759
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 53.72 / 717.33
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 19.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.3 / 39.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 3.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 141 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 64 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 295,314 / 24
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 147 / 719,590
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 151 / 2,443,580
12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Slow speeds......AGAIN

There's no cap or banding on your line as your profile's "WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)"
I'd expect your line speeds to be higher for the length of your line so I'd recommend running through our troubleshooter using the link below.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Sorry but these troubleshooting links plusnet staff members tell us to go through are really pointless and don't actually help in anyway. Speeds however have gone better now. Getting 5mbs atleast and my stats look better too and in guessing it's because someone did the SNR reset for me.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 2:11:09
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,131 / 7,171
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 53.77 / 717.89
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.3 / 39.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.6 / 3.4
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 150 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 308,324 / 24
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 35 / 25,829
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 59 / 12,235
BurntToast
Grafter

To answer your other question about why your speed was better in your old flat, you were probably on an LLU service which works differently.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

So this morning everything went back to square one. Can't get download speeds above 1mb but my upload speeds seem normal to me. Why does my Uptime keep resetting?
@BurntToast, what kind of service does Plusnet use then? If LLU is what O2 used I have to say it was damn amazing because I never had a single issue with them to reiterate what I said earlier my old flat was in exactly the same block of flats as my current one. I only move like 2 flats to the left of my old one!
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 1:30:46
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,112 / 4,919
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 53.92 / 719.62
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.3 / 39.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.3 / 2.3
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 177 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 68 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 360,862 / 24
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 216,024
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,377,022
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The uptime keeps resetting because your connection keeps dropping (68 losses of signal since the last reboot, whenever that was.)
FEC/CRC and HEC errors reset themselves after a resync, so are pretty horrendous for 90 minutes uptime (error seconds don't unless the router was rebooted, but you still appear to have accumulated about 50,000 in the last 24 hours or so  - not good.)
If you haven't tried connecting directly to the test socket and using a new filter, I think you should, despite your misgivings about the value of carrying out troubleshooting checks yourself.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

There is no test socket and I've already used the brand new filter that came with the new router Plusnet supplied (thinking the router was the issue). It's really come to the point I've literally tried everything!
If you check this https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131483.0.html post I made a few months back you can see with the help of 'Anotherone' we went through a lot of deep troubleshooting trying out different things. In the end it seems a SNR reset worked something I've been asking for.
Just to add the only solution for me it seems is for a PlusNet engineer to come and check my sockets and line but I hear an engineer visit is quite expensive and something I just can't afford. Considering I've been with Plusnet since July 2011 and having to deal with such terrible speeds for nearly 4 years it would be nice for them to send an Engineer atleast without charging me. I don't ask for much but it's the least PlusNet can do for me since I've had to deal with these issues for so long and surprisingly im still with them long after my initial contract ended.
BurntToast
Grafter

Plusnet uses BT's equipment.  With O2 you were probably using BE's LLU equipment.  I used BE too, they were great.. sadly now sold to SKY.
JayG
Pro

Quote from: ashrafmiah93
Just to add the only solution for me it seems is for a PlusNet engineer to come and check my sockets and line but I hear an engineer visit is quite expensive and something I just can't afford. Considering I've been with Plusnet since July 2011 and having to deal with such terrible speeds for nearly 4 years it would be nice for them to send an Engineer atleast without charging me. I don't ask for much but it's the least PlusNet can do for me since I've had to deal with these issues for so long and surprisingly im still with them long after my initial contract ended.

The purpose of the self-help checks during the fault raising process is to ensure that all that can reasonably be expected of a user to check that the fault does not lie within their own property has been done, in which case the user would not be charged even if an engineer did subsequently find a fault inside the property.
Hopefully someone from CRT will confirm that tomorrow, and propose a way forward if the more experienced members on here don't have any other suggestions before then.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

If you follow my previous post which I posted above you can see that I followed all the instructions by Anotherone and a few other guys on the forum. I took the time to take pictures of every socket and the wiring and other stuff. Even to the point PlusNet sent a new router to maybe see if it was a router issue which it was not in the end. I've done literally all fault checks on my part now it seems I need an engineer to come and see themselves because this constant cycle of coming back to the forums with the same issue about really poor speeds that I've had to put up with for 4 years. The least PlusNet can do is send a engineer to check up without charging me where they normally would've have it if that was the case.
dick:quote
JayG
Pro

I did read through your previous thread, but it finished last year even if your problems didn't.  I can easily understand your frustration but I suggest you raise a new ticket (you will be asked to go through the checks again, but that is for your own 'protection' as I explained in my previous post.)
You can of course add additional information to the ticket, including a link to last year's thread.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There will only be a charge if a fault is found within your premises / equipment.  If you have followed all of the advice and requirements of the fault reporting process then you will have mitigated the risk of being charged.
If you want an engineer to visit (BT Openreach's not PlusNet's as you misunderstand) then YOU need to complete the fault reporting process as requested.
A SNRM reset will achieve nothing, indeed it might make things worse.  Your line already has the best possible SNRM, but it is not delivering the synch speed we would expect.  Your error rates are quite high.  Is the line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.  If there is any noise on the line, please report a phone line fault to your phone provider.  If that is PlusNet you can use the phone faults link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

As others have stated we can't just keep resetting the line.
You would only be charged for a engineer if he attended and found the fault to be internal.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team