Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed

BooYar
Grafter

Slow speed

Hello,
I have started to experiance slow broadband speed for 2-3days and just done a bt test
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.7 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
until this pathetic slow down i was getting 7-8mbps no problem. I also been having random disconnections at various times of the day and night sometimes for a few seconds up to a few mins
Any help in sorting this problem would be appreciated.

57 REPLIES 57
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Slow speed

Hi BooYar,
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your broadband connection. If your broadband has been dropping out it might be worth plugging in your equipment into your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml">Test Socket</a>
Once you have a stable connection without any drop outs for 72 hours your speeds will increase back to normal again automatically.
I hope this helps Smiley
BooYar
Grafter

I don't have a test socket
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you try an alternative microfilter instead? Just in case it is causing your broadband to drop out.
BooYar
Grafter

I've tried that. Due to the randomness of the dropping and the fact that i work a 3 shift rota it's hard to keep a progress report on the drops.
Until a couple of weeks back i had noise on my phone line to but that seems to have cleared up.
The area i live in has just had new cabinets installed i presume for the new adsl2/fibre band? not 100% sure if this could be part of the problem.
Also i turn my modem off whenever i power down my pc so would i need to leave my modem on for a few days to see if things settle down?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What speed are you currently synced at?
If you are on 20CN it can take a day or 2 for the IP profile to go back up, and yes leaving the modem/router on 24/7 until this has happened will help it happen quicker.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd recommend leaving your router on at all times if at all possible to ensure you get that best connection possible. In this instance I would leave your router on for the time being anyway, and we will monitor how your connection is and if we see random drops whilst the router has been left on we can take a closer look into things and perhaps look at raising a <a href="http://faults.plus.net">Fault</a> if need be.
BooYar
Grafter

Ello Anotherone
I might be acting abit dumb here but what do you mean by synced?   Undecided
Chris,
Thanks for you replies. I will leave my modem on over the next few days and see how it goes.
Anotherone
Champion

That the speed that you connect to the exchange. Go to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/ and select your modem/router and then click on FAQ's & Troubleshooting. Read on through how to login to the inetrface and to get your adsl line stats. Do a copy and paste and post them on here.
BooYar
Grafter

I hope i got this right Anotherone
DSL Connection
Uptime: 0 days, 3:27:56
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,192 / 2,268
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
i appreciate your help and advice
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, that's fine, well the Down Bandwidth (as your stats call it, it can have many names) is the problem. The speed is only 2268 which is why your IP profile is so low (2M) and so your throughput(download speed) is only 1.7Mbps.
If that's the Thomson modem/router if you click on "View more" under DSL connection, you'll see a whole lot more stats - if you can copy and paste that lot it will tell us a bit about what's going on.
BooYar
Grafter

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:40:26
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Anotherone
Champion

Nope don't see any more. Did you select it all and click copy  Wink
Were looking for the above plus all the bits that show things like noise margins, attenuation and errors.
BooYar
Grafter

maybe i should have clicked details and not left it on overview  Roll_eyes
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:49:07
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 19.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,725
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, right that tells a complete picture. Your line looks quite stable at the moment as you have zero CRC errors for an Uptime of nearly 4 hours.
The fact that you are on ADSL2+, the current noise margin and line speed suggests you've been "Banded" as a result of all the previous drops in connection. This happens to try and stabilise a line but with the unfortunate effect of the slow speed. It will need a member of the Plusnet team to do a line reset to remove it.
Have you noticed any crackling or other noises recently on the line when using your phone or has it stopped completely now that the BT work is finished?