Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed last 48 hours

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow speed last 48 hours

Hi JoJo
Wondered if you have any idea whether the work was carried out by BT today or not? Doesn't appear to be much change to the speed issues. Do I need to reboot the router or anything, I've been reluctamt to power it down at all, just in case it affects things adversely.
Almost 5 weeks now since I logged this fault, Im so hoping I get evening broadband back again, really missing it Sad
Thanks
Caryn
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
Yeah, it was supposed to be today wasn't it? Right, I'll take a look and see what I can find out and get back to you.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Cheers JoJo
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
Thank you for your time. I will check this out on Friday and let you know as soon as I've found out more information.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Hey JoJo
Well Friday 22nd is here and I guess BT have been monitoring the exchange to see if they need to upgrade the capacity.
The last 2 evenings we've had a speed of 0.5meg maximum, so we've seen an increase of 0.2ish meg. If that's the ugrade they did then, oh dear Lord help us, lol. I've been thinking about what we spoke about Weds Jo, how BT oversell the capacity of the exchange and that's why we get peak probs. A few things don't make sense to me, and hopefully you can clarify for me.
1. Five weeks ago, we had evening internet of over 3 meg, easily able to run 2 pc's and an xbox all internet gaming and using voice. At that time my neighbour , who is on Plusnets cheapest package was getting less than 1meg evenings. Then, our evening speed dropped to less then 0.5meg and the neighbours went up to 4meg :O. We have the same exchange, we're next door to each other , we both use Plusnet, we have the PlusnetPro package as opposed to his cheapy one ... what's going on there?
2. As we're Plusnet customers, how can BT overselling a product at the exchange affect the badwidth Plusnet give us? Is it not Plusnets choice how they carve up the bandwidth that BT give them ,as they pass it on to their customers? I don't understand how that works.
3. What exactly does the package I'm on guarantee us? I was under the impression that gaming priority would give us the best slice of the evening bandwidth pie, if not, what am I paying £27 a month for? I don't understand what extra I'm getting over your cheapy package?
4. Someone suggested to me that Plusnet can remotely disconnect and reconnect me, placing me in a different position at the exchange and sometimes fixing bandwidth issues ... I'm sure I don't have that technically correct, but maybe you will know what that means and if so, would it possibly help
Sorry for so many questions again, but I'm getting very frustrated at having to just wait and see what BT may or may not do, especially as they keep changing the goalposts all the time and extending the date Sad can't we just try some of the 'extra measures' you mentioned, if BT fail to come up with any sensible solution, whilst we're waiting for them to monitor things... It's now 5WEEKS since we've been able to play games on the net in the evening Cry
Caryn
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
Quote from: caryn
I've been thinking about what we spoke about Weds Jo, how BT oversell the capacity of the exchange

I'm sorry about how that came out, that's not what I meant to say. In every exchange (and in fact with most ISPs) there's a finite amount of capacity available for users, and this doesn't have a direct relationship with the number of ports (i.e. number of connection points to which customers can be connected) available.
In order to keep costs acceptable, available capacity has to be shared. The costs involved for adding enough capacity for everyone to be connected at full line speed constantly would be astronomical - especially given that 99.9% of the time this won't be the case. So the bandwidth is shared, and in the main the system works well. Occasionally, as in your case, more customers will request more usage at the same time and it is at this point where upgrades will have to be implemented.
Five weeks ago, we had evening internet of over 3 meg, easily able to run 2 pc's and an xbox all internet gaming and using voice. At that time my neighbour , who is on Plusnets cheapest package was getting less than 1meg evenings. Then, our evening speed dropped to less then 0.5meg and the neighbours went up to 4meg :O. We have the same exchange, we're next door to each other , we both use Plusnet, we have the PlusnetPro package as opposed to his cheapy one ... what's going on there?

There are so many reasons, but once again I would put that down to your line fault. As for your neighbour I wouldn't know unless I was looking into their account.
What exactly does the package I'm on guarantee us? I was under the impression that gaming priority would give us the best slice of the evening bandwidth pie, if not, what am I paying £27 a month for? I don't understand what extra I'm getting over your cheapy package?

You should get full line speed at all times and that's what we're determined to get resolved for you.
Someone suggested to me that Plusnet can remotely disconnect and reconnect me, placing me in a different position at the exchange and sometimes fixing bandwidth issues ... I'm sure I don't have that technically correct, but maybe you will know what that means and if so, would it possibly help.

There are a number of things like this that could be done but until the nature of the fault is pinpointed it wouldn't be advisible.
The latest report I have today is that the bandwidth has been increased and is now being monitored. A further update about that will be made available tomorrow, so I will check that. I see you have been connected for over 3 days now so you may need a reboot to take advantage of that. I would be interested to see if that makes any difference to you tonight.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Cheers for the explanations JoJo.
By reboot, do you mean me rebooting my router? And if so, when should I do that and how long leave it switched off for?
Caryn
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caryn,
Yes rebooting the router. Best way is to go into your router and disconnect then reconnect there. If you can do it today before 2pm you should get the best connection. If not, you'll just have to do it when you can, but that fact that you've been connected for three and a  half days means you may not have seen any changes that have been made.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Ok, did that. The speed doesn't look promising, its at 1.9meg at the moment, but the kids arent out of school yet, so later this evening will probably be more of a sign. I'll check then and report back.
Just saw a BT advert, how theyre rolling out superfast Infinity broadband, made me laugh out loud. Strikes me they would be bettre off upgrading some of their rubbish exchanges through the country, so everyone can get half decent speed rather than focusing on bigger cities getting even better products ... then again lifes not fair is it  Roll_eyes
Have a good weekend.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caryn,
I forgot it was the weekend, I'll still check for you tomorrow though from home and make sure there are as few delays for you as possible.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Got very excited last night. My internet speed was 2.9 meg at 7.30 pm, up from 0.4 meg at 5.30 pm. I did a little dance of relief around the room, then checked it again .... 0.3meg  Cry where it stayed for the rest of the evenning. Then back up to 5.1 meg at 9 am today.
Doesn't look like BT's 'upgrade' did anything at all - although we havent had an evening internet speed like that for over 5 weeks now. What's next on the agenda?
And btw JoJo, it's over and above the call of duty checking the forums at home on ur weekend off, but we love you for it  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Caryn,
Thank you. I've just checked the fault status on the BT systems and as yet there hasn't been an update. I'll check again about 4.30 and if there's still not I'll see if I can get one of the faults guys to chase it up by phone.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
I've checked it again and there's still been no update. We won't be able to contasct them directly until monday but I'll check again tomorrow and if no joy I'll pass it onto one of my team for monday as I'm off until Thursday.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

PN customer support just rang to tell me BTW's latest update.
Apparently BTW recognise that the circuit I'm on at the exchange has VP issues and they've refferred it to their capacity investigation team for further investigation, with not estimated date as to when this will be 'investigated'. PN advise there is little they can do to put pressure on BT to escalate this, so, having already waited 5 weeks, I must sit patiently and wait for an indeterminate date when BT 'may' look at the issues. If it's not too expensive, it will 'probably' get repaired.
I can't think that in any other developed country of the world this would be considered as acceptable and what's more laughable, I continue to see BT advertise their all singing all dancining Infinity for superfast broadband - shame this leaves them sort short of a few bob they can't bring normal broadband to the rest of us!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
We've been told that the complex faults team are looking into this at the moment, they've said there should be an update at 6pm. You should get a call this evening to let you know what was on the update.