Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed and random lag spikes while gaming

jasncfc

Re: Slow speed and random lag spikes while gaming

Hi Matt
Thanks for the reply.  Smiley
I have no idea how to check for EFC errors. My router is a Billion 7800N.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, just had a look through the menu and can't see anything about errors, I suspect you'll need to use routerstats lite - download and details for how to install and use it can be found here: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite
This is something that I know a lot of customers on these forums are using (along with the same router as yourself) so there's plenty of help about on how to use it. Hope you get it sorted.
redcar39
Dabbler

Traffic management or Clogged up lines - Gaming virtually impossible

I was a Plusnet customer for a couple of years, lured in by a cheap deal and the so called transparency about the traffic management. The problems began with Battlefield 2 and got worse with Battlefield 3. The connection would all of a sudden become very laggy and slow, sometimes throwing me off the server completely. I contacted support and we went through everything, and I mean EVERYTHING.
I had an engineer coming out to change cables and sockets. I was put on the most premium service for a month to try that. I had the router changed twice. I bought a premium LAN cable and tried different splitters. Nothing helped and I resigned myself to the fact that it was somehow just the poor ADSL/telephone infrastructure that was to blame.
A couple of month's ago I decided to switch provider to Sky since I'm already a Sky customer for the telly and they had a good offer on their "Unlimited broadband" without any traffic management (subject to fair use policy of course). Ever since I've had exactly ZERO problems with any game. No drops, no lag, just full on perfect gaming on servers anywhere in Europe..
As good as customer support is, and as nice it is to be transparent (or pretend to be) about traffic management, there is no fault on my line or with my setup. The only thing that changed was my provider and the difference is night and day. If you're a gamer and have problems with Plusnet, I recommend you try a different provider with an unlimited package. I can only vouch for Sky but there are other providers that don't start choking your line as soon as you start up a game.
/H
redcar39
Dabbler

Not sure if it's due to traffic management or just clogged up lines but Plusnet imho is not a good provider for gaming.
dick:green Redundant link removed as threads were merged.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Redcar39:  That could well be a fault on your line which has been sidestepped by moving to Sky (i.e. removing the BT equipment in the exchange from the question).  Sorry that we couldn't fix it and keep you Sad
We've got loads of gamers who work at PN on our broadband, so if we had a widespread issue of that nature, we'd definitely know about it. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup Kelly i will agree  Wink PN excellent for gaming , especially with FTTC  Cool was ok on ADSL2  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jasncfc

I am now plugged into the test socket and using a new micro filter as requested.
My speed has been awful today. Internet has been unusable.  Sad I would do a speedtest but the website struggles to load its that slow.
Kelly
Hero

Sorry to hear that Sad
Your speed estimate appears to be very low, but your speed profile doesn't match that.  This might mean its our doing.  One sec, I'm going to check what your profile is set at on the BT equipment.,
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Ok, I've matched our speed profile to the speed profile you've been assigned by the DLM.  Let us know if that is any better.
Kelly Dorset