Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, slow, very very slow

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Slow, slow, very very slow

Is it a bell with a striker and a solenoid? we used to use one as a source of noise when testing electronics  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jojo
I've had a look under the BT wall plate and deduced that disconnection of the extension bell is beyond my skill level. The bell itself is concealed inside a box about 9" by 6" mounted high up on the wall in the next room. No idea what is inside it.
I've switched back to the original filter and rerun the BT speedtest, which gave me the same poor result as earlier this morning. I've also just been next door, who have their phone line connected to the same telegraph pole & have run a broadbandspeedcker there (couldn't run BT speedtest as Java was not installed & I didn't want to change their system). Their download speed came up as 664 kbps and upload speed is 277 kbps, which is even worse than mine. This could indicate that we have a common problem.
I don't really know what to do next, but am getting more & more fed up ....
Any help would be much appreciated.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From what you've described the bell is unfiltered and that is very likely to cause problems when the phone rings.
Does the main socket have a removable lower half with a test socket inside? If so when it is open, does the bell still ring?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hollycroft,
Best thing I can suggest is to log in here and raise a query.
Jojo Smiley
Hollycroft
Grafter

I raised a query (ref 48141775) but have had no response apart from an acknowledgement.
I've got stuff to do on my computer so I can't keep it connected to the main router in my hallway indefinitely. I'm moving it back to my study now but will be happy to do more tests directly connected to the router when requested. I'm hoping that I'll get a response soon ...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
When you say you're moving it back from the hall, do you mean there is an extension from the phone socket to the router or an extension from the router to the computer?
Jojo Smiley
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Neither. As I have said before in this thread I have got my router attached to my main phone point (in my hall) via a cable about 2 metres long. I have been running lots of tests with my laptop attached to the router via an ethernet cable. This means that I have to perch or squat on the floor & it's very awkward. Also my printer is out of reach from here.
I got fed up waiting for a response to my fault so I moved my laptop temporarily back in to my study so that I could do some offline work more comfortably. I've left my router in the hall & switched on.
Now I'm back in the hallway in order to reply to this.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hollycroft,
That 2m long extension won't help matters. you need to be directly in the test socket or we won't be able to pinpoint the problem. I appreciate it's a pain but if you could plug just your filter into the test socket then into your router it will really help. can you let me know when you've done that?
Jojo Smiley
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Sorry, you have misunderstood what I said re the connection of my router. It isn't connected via an extension. It is connected to a filter via a grey internet cable about 2m long and the filter is connected directly to the main telephone point. I don't have a test socket.
I have since received a response to my fault & have received today a new wireless router. I have followed the installation instructions and have established internet connection through the new router. I have run the BT speedtest twice this evening (about 2 hours apart) and got download speed of 1315 and upload speed of 726, then later download speed of 1320 and upload speed of 734 kbps. The maximum speed is currently set to 4000 kpbs. So no real improvement immediately, but I will monitor it over the day few days.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you don't have a test socket you can't isolate the bell and it won't be filtered. I think you need an engineer to fit a proper BT socket.
Do you actually need the bell?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Hollycroft
but I will monitor it over the day few days.

Ok, well let us know if you need any more help. Smiley
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Speedtest results are more or less the same this morning, so no improvement yet. How soon might I expect to get faster download speed? I could live without my extension bell, do you think I should take up Jelv's suggestion & get an engineer to remove that?
I have another problem in that I can't get internet connection when my laptop is connecting to the new router wirelessly. My laptop indicates that wireless connection has been established with 'excellent' signal strength. The router's wireless light is green. I can see that there are packets of data being sent between the laptop and the router. Can't see what step I might have missed ....
Many thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you have hard settings for the gateway and IP address on the laptop or do you have it set to obtain them automatically?
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jelv
I believe that I've got it set up to obtain them automatically, but I've forgotten how to check that. It's a long time ago that I set up my original wireless network with my Linksys router & the new one from Plusnet didn't require much input from me. I have read somewhere that if the wireless key was not input correctly then it wouldn't give me a clear error message to that effect - however, I have tried reentering it & it made no difference.
Still stumped ...
Hollycroft
Grafter

Hi Jojo
I've run a few more speedtests:
Yesterday at 07:10 I got a download speed of 1313 and upload speed of 735 with max achievable download speed of 4000 and IP profile 2561.
Yesterday at 22:45 I got a download speed of 1841 and upload speed of 735 with max achievable download speed of 2000.
Today at 09:40 I got a download speed of 1819 and upload speed of 725 with max achievable download speed of 2000.
So max achievable has been dropped, but actual speed has improved. Is this normal for the initial 3 day settling in period?