Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow slow slow

Geeman
Dabbler

Slow slow slow

Hi,
This is my first post.
PlusNet has always been fine for me, I don't get blazing speeds but I get what I expect, around 3-4 meg downstream.  But not the last few days, it's running slower than dialup.
Speedtester Results:  Download Speed Achieved: 86 Kbps, Acceptable Range Speeds : 50-250 Kbps. your DSL connection Rate: 4128 Kbps Downstream, 448 Kbps upsteam, IP Profile 135 Kbps
To be honest, i read the sticky post and it talked about blips and 135 Kbps being a bad result but I really have no idea what to do about it?  or what it really means.
Help!

My modem stats say:
System Up Time 05:56:02
Port         Status           TxPkts       RxPkts   Collisions Tx B/s       Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN       PPPoA           907           934           0                 580         691             00:12:02
LAN           10M/100M      706685     930253      0               12601 23831         05:55:58
WLAN   11M/54M             25432         0            0                 201         0         05:55:53

ADSL Link         Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 4128 kbps          448 kbps
Line Attenuation 42.0 db           21.0 db
Noise Margin         15.4 db           20.0 db
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Slow slow slow

Your IP Profile has dropped to 135kbps which implies your router lost synchronisation with the exchange and re-synced at under 256kbps. Have you any thoughts on what might have caused that?
The IP Profile (set by BTW) limits your download speed to not more than that value - actually significantly less when connection management is take into account.
The sync speed has now recovered to 4128kbps which will give an IP Profile of 3500kbps; but it can take 2 days for that large increase to filter through the system. Your router stats show an uptime of 6 hours - is that when the increased sync rate was achieved?
David
Geeman
Dabbler

Hi
Not sure exactly when the sync rate increased, it was playing up on the 7th, i remember checking and it connecting at some crazy low speed and it was actually struggling to sync on the afternoon of the 7th, for a while it wouldn't, then last night it was back to connecting at 4128 Kbps.
I take it I just wait?  do nothing,  and hope thats it sorted?
Patience, I wish I had some  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For the moment it looks like 'just wait' is what's needed, though it is frustrating. In the mean time leaving things alone is suggested so that the DLM sees the connection is stable.
However the 'dropping connection' incident is not normal, and should be looked into if it becomes a regular issue. Things you can check yourself are explained in the Dropping connection guide.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Geeman,
It seems from the graph below that you are turning your router off a lot. Do you turn this off every time you use your computer? WHat make and model is your router?

Jojo Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unrelated to the original post but I'm curious why you can so easily see the difference between turning the router off and a failed connection?
A large proportion of the complaints here relate in one way or another to BT's abject failure to do the same.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If someone pulls the plug or switches it off from the wall the DLM will just see it as a lost connection.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Then the DLM system is not fit for purpose.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If the router is disconnected via the router homepage this should not affect the DLM.
billnotben
Community Veteran

I've always wondered about that but never been quite sure what's meant by it. I assume you mean disconnect the internet via the router page before pressing the off button?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, apparently DLM will see that as an intentional disconnection, whereas if it's switched off without any warning it would fairly assume that the connection has dropped.
Geeman
Dabbler

Quote from: Joanne
Hi Geeman,
It seems from the graph below that you are turning your router off a lot. Do you turn this off every time you use your computer? WHat make and model is your router?

Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo
I've not been watching this post for a few days hoping that the IP Profile would rise from the sloooow 135 and normality would return.  Still at 135, still slow internet, still waiting.  The router gets switched off when i'm at work, when I go out, during the night . . . . . no point in wasting electricity when i'm not using it, thats my theory  Grin
Switching it off shouldn't make any difference though should it?  As long as when it goes back on it syncs at a reasonable speed?
Should the 135 have risen by now?
The router is a Netgear DG834PN, always worked well, been very happy with it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

All those on off are completely screwing your speed
Any switch on after about 3 pm will give you a bad speed.
And as per the other comments from JoJo  BT have given you a slow connection in an attempt to keep the line stable
Now just plug it in, leave it switched on for at least 10 days and your speed should increase
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Joanne
Yes, apparently DLM will see that as an intentional disconnection, whereas if it's switched off without any warning it would fairly assume that the connection has dropped.
OOI  How long does DLM take to recognise that a disconnection is intentional?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Geeman
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
All those on off are completely screwing your speed
Any switch on after about 3 pm will give you a bad speed.
And as per the other comments from JoJo  BT have given you a slow connection in an attempt to keep the line stable
Now just plug it in, leave it switched on for at least 10 days and your speed should increase

Hmm, strange after years of switching off when not in use that this should suddenly start to cause issues.