cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet on Wifi or wired

leevilenski
Hooked

Slow internet on Wifi or wired

Been experiencing extremely slow connection via WiFi and wired for around a week. Using the plusnet router. I had attempted to run speedtests; however the speed of the connection was actually too slow to run even this. I did manage to get a functional test earlier this week, at less than 1 mbps.

In the members center, this is listed as the current speed against the expected:

Postcode:

Phone exchange:EXETER

Estimated line speed:6Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 9Mb) - Checked on 2017-08-08 10:52:10

Current line speed:0.5 Mb

Could this be looked at? I've done all the troubleshooting I have found, and am currently having to hotspot from my phone to type this message.

Many thanks, 

Edward

10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Slow internet on Wifi or wired

Hi @leevilenski,

Unfortunately it looks like your line has become banded due to the connection dropping out a lot.

Testing the connection is flagging up a problem on the phone side of things, so I've raised this with our suppliers and responded via your account Here.

Once the phone fault has been resolved, we should hopefully be able to remove the banding and not risk further drops than you're experiencing already.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has been causing. Thanks for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
leevilenski
Hooked

Thank you for your reply. I'll look forward to a response. I assumed the issue was a BT line issue, but I realise there isn't a great deal I can do to fix this.

An ideas what a "banded" connection is? It's not something I'm familiar with.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Effectively when your line is having issues the Dynamic Line management software (DLM for short) can carry out actions to try and make the line stable.

This can range from adding technologies such as interleaving or reducing the speed to try and stabilise the connection. At this point the speeds are then 'banded'

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
leevilenski
Hooked

Oh interesting. I should note that the router does still drop out even after the speed has dropped.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It's still possible for your connection to drop whilst the connection is banded.

Hopefully the fault in question is fixed sooner rather then later

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
leevilenski
Hooked

Still had no response. Rang up yesterday and was told after half hour on hold that it would definitely be sorted today.

No resolution. Any ideas? At what point can we not pay for the internet we aren't recieving...
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @leevilenski,

I'm sorry that this issue has been going on for longer than expected and for any inconvenience caused.

I've tested your line and the external landline fault has now cleared, however your speed is still banded to 0.2mbps. I've arranged for the line to be reset to try and fix this. The reset normally takes 4 hours to complete. After 4 hours your router will need to be powered off for 10 seconds and then turned back on. When it reconnects we'd expect the speed to be normal again, but it can take 24 hours before everything fully updates.

Please let us know if you continue to experience poor speeds after this or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
leevilenski
Hooked

The issues were seemed to have been fixed, however, the speed has now dropped once again to a snails pace. Could this be looked at?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @leevilenski, sorry to hear you're having speed issues. Upon testing your connection from this side I can see the automated line management had your connection set at a rather particular low signal strength for the length of your line which looks to have been causing intermittent errors and may have been what's behind teh speed issuses you've seen. I've made changed to the signal strength and if you monitor moving forwards you should hopefully see the conenction back to normal. Let us know how it goes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@leevilenski

This sounds odd, it might be worth while doing some of the basic checks again...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Detailed stats from your end will indicate more clearly how the line is behaving - speed in isolation is not always helpful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.