cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet on ADSL 2704n router

arbst

Slow internet on ADSL 2704n router

Hi Team

My connection has been consistently slow in the past couple of weeks. I ran a speedtest as suggested and the results show a very slow download speed:

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/2295d540-7e36-11ea-b199-5784d94c4903

Here also are the stats from my router's HelpDesk after I've logged into it:

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7192141B006052 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 1 days 14:57:16
7 - Data rate: 1272/21903
8 - Maximum data rate: 1272/21868
9 - Noise margin: 5.8/3.0
10 - Line attenuation: 6.9/19.5
12 - Data sent/received: 304.1M/3.6G

I don't know how to read the data rate, so any help on that front would be appreciated.

This issue is affecting the TV, phones, laptops that connect wirelessly to the router, ie. not isolated to one device. 

Please can you advise?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Slow internet on ADSL 2704n router

@arbst  Welcome to the forum.

There are numerous possible causes, it's a case of flogging through them one at a time.

First of all you have an excellent ADSL connection to your exchange and should be able to get around 18Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. The first question is whether your problem is a fault with the broadband network settings or a wireless issue? To determine this you need to test your speed using an Ethernet cable between your hub and a computer. Have you/can you do this test?

The next thing to note is that the Plusnet Hub Zero is a basic modem/router with poor wireless performance. Has it got noticeably worse recently? If so then it might be worth going into the wireless settings and trying a different channel.

You are using many devices, are they all in use at the same time. Is this something that has only started recently? Are you testing your speed with all other devices disconnected? Be aware that although you have good ADSL speed, you can only use this once. Furthermore the Hub Zero suffers from a problem called buffer bloat. If one user is uploading a lot of data then this can totally screw up the download speed for the other users.

Try the speed test with an Ethernet cable, come back with further information and no doubt further advice will be forthcoming.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EdWeasley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi @arbst,

Thank you for taking your time to get in touch.

I am very sorry that you are having a problem with our service. I have tested your service and unfortunately I have been unable to locate a problem. As you have stated that you are having problems with your wireless have you been able to use an Ethernet cable to see if the problem is also occurring. For assistance with the wireless the following link may help.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Kind regards,

Josh

Josh Berriman
 Plusnet Help Team
arbst

Hi, 

I tried changing to channel 1, 11, and 6 as I believe that's what Plusnet recommends, I was able to get up to 12Mbps download speed but now it has deteriorated significantly within the space of 30mins to 0.7Mbps. I tested using ethernet and it got up to 18Mbps.

We got through to them on the phone, and have been advised to buy a new router, which they'd credit us for.

They recommend a BT Home Hub, or Smart Hub. Which one (and which version) do you recommend?

Many Thanks

Noah

Baldrick1

@arbst 

Most definitely a BT Smarthub 6, if you can find one get the Business version. The setting instructions are here.   https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

You ideally need the FTTC version, which also works on ADSL. These are identified by having four yellow LAN sockets on the rear. There is also a FTTP version that has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. These also work but you lose access to one of the LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer

arbst

Thanks for all your help Smiley

I went with this one in the end, anticipation building...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plusnet-BT-Smart-Hub-Home-Hub-6-Fibre-FTTC-ADSL-Broadband-Wireless-AC-Rou...

Baldrick1

@arbst 

Thar will do the job fine. Come back if you need further help with it.

Moderator and Customer