cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok? Should i restart my router?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok?

@ianbeeton67 wrote:

... youve had me run the bt wholesale test 40 times, complaining i havent done it correctly & thanks to towman, who pointed out to you that theres a bug with that whole system that prevents the upload of the data to pn. 

Ian,

For clarity - Plusnet can only see the data BT Wholesale ship to them.  You might have copied that information in a ticket, but that does not get the information to where it is required - that is not your fault, nor PN's.  It is a fault in BTw's diagnostic systems.

There is a known issue that on some lines (not the whole system) at some time the BTw system fails to complete the diagnostic process - essentially it fails to retrieve the BT line profile data.  My comments have essentially been reasonable daft questions to seek insight.  It seems reasonable to me that if the process fails at point A and the data is shipped to Plusnet at point B, that might not happen - hence the request to repeat.

Given that this issue is known to be intermittent, requesting a retest is I suspect a hope that this time - next time it will work.

Right now, the fact that one browser reports 10mbps DATA throughput and another reports something else, I am more confused than ever.  There is merit in running the speed tests again using the "faster" browser with the BTw speed test and others for comparison.  If they consistently show something in the region of 10mbps then we need to look elsewhere for the source of the issue.

@ejs - have you any thoughts here please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well we've gotten a bit side-tracked by the BTWholesale speedtester not working properly, but I don't think there's any problem with the line or the ADSL itself.

I guess the most likely problem then is the router. I think there was some early problem with 2704n routers intended for FTTC being given to ADSL customers, resulting in some weird problem, but I think the symptoms were some websites not working at all rather than slow speeds.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianbeeton67
Grafter

@mort7890

I found it strange that when i raised a fault ticket with PN, their fix was "Therefore even after doing the tests you are still getting slow speeds you can look into upgrading to fiber if it is something you're interested in." (from pn [CSA Removed])

So here I am paying PN for a broadband connection that has recently slowed right down, you raise a fault ^& pn's fix is to pay us more money for fibre.  That truly is award winning customer service. (When as the helpful people have helped me narrow it down to the actual fault being with the PN router that is still under warranty till my contract ends on 12th december)

I have done 40+ btw speed tests, pn were telling me I hadnt done it correctly, but it then turns out its btw itself that has a bug in it!  I then find out PN know all about this bug & if it wasnt for @Townman help I would still be going round in circles.

Please PN staff on here & on the fault report lines, i would encourage you to watch the PN adverts on TV, as theres a big difference 🙂

BTW speed tests give me much faster results via IE, than firefox every time! The PN speed tester via their website consistantly gives me far faster speeds than all the other none plusnet speed tests, dunno why that would be, but it seems strange.

PN need to update their BTW info they send to customers to warn them that there is a bug in it, & its not them that are failing to do the tests correctly (as they kept telling me), but its the BTW that is faulty.

They also need to pin something to their help about ie, firefox etc, giving completely different results.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) CSA name/s removed to private staff area as per Forum rules

Mardler
Rising Star

I feel your pain, Ian!

PN service is grim. I’ve had severe problems for nearly two years only partially solved myself by buying another router. (The old 582n was lent to a friend: it performed perfectly on his line!)

A couple of observations.

The BTW test is flaky. On our line it constantly gives a result less than 50% of the reliable ones (Ookla and ThinkBB). I’ve even had results showing near zero whilst streaming HD TV when Ookla is fine.

A real check can be done by using one of the thinkbroadband large file downloads. Select a fairly large file, download it and time it. This was how I proved that the BTW test is rubbish (though it used to be fine and still is for my neighbours).

The problem of good sync and low throughput seems to be insoluble. We sync at c.19.5 (SNR tweaked low) but speed tests only show 14 on a PN profile of 17.5 - and last night as low as 0.16! (See my “Total BB failure” topic.)

If you have the option of FTTC I’d take it every time though whether you stay with PN is up to you. At least you have the option, we’ve been told that we’ll never get fibre!

If you don’t wish to pay for fibre, press PN for a new router as yours appears to be within warranty. If they refuse buy a new router, plenty on eBay - make sure you buy one that allows SNRM tweaking.

Btw, Townman and ejs are helpful guys.

My advice? Go fibre.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes just from my experience I had to go Fibre. I'll try and keep my story brief.

My parents place exchange is quite far away. I know where the area is, and I have to visit there now and again recently. Next week too by the looks of it. Not through choice I might add (hospital). Also I went to college there for two years.

Landline went down twice is recent years, once for a day, once for 2 days. 

Parents don't use mobiles - so you can imagine no landline and no internet. Painful. Sad

Speeds were slow. I posted on here, and was essentially told because of the long line length that is the best I will get by a member of staff. It was the answer I was expecting really.

Luckily I know where the local Fibre cabs are and we could get it. Since we upgraded it has been fine.

Due to personal circumstances, my sister has to work from home some days during the week. I got moaned at about how slow the connection was and of course WFH means you need a decent connection. So I knew I had no choice but to go Fibre.

PlusNet have been fine, all went smoothly. Internet is good now.

So just sharing my experience with the OP.

Hmm - okay maybe I failed on the brief bit Tongue

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Right at the start of my complaint, when i reported my slow speeds I asked pn when my contract expired, i was told 12th december, now that its looking like its a router fault pn have pulled out all the stops & told me that unortunatly my router is out of warranty today! so sadly there not going to replace it. (please watch the pn adverts, they read this thread)

I switched to PN on 20th Nov 2016, pn left me without any broadband for 22 days, sending me a router on 12th dec 2016. No apology for 22 days without broadband.

Now its amazingly its looking like my routers faulty [CSA Removed] from PN tells me my contract ends today & therefore sadly they cant replace it. 

I do hope potential customers, first watch the pn adverts, then read this thread.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Plusnet customer service just gets worse.  Today I was told by PN they were not sending me a router to replace my faulty one, the reason was......(its incredible, you will laugh in despair)

PN contract started 20th Nov 2016, they sent me a router, that never arrived.  They left me without broadband for 22 days!

On 12th dec 2016 a router finally arrived.

But today they say that because they have sent me 2 routers already, even though only 1 ever arrived, there not prepared to send me another one. 

And PN supposedly give good customer service. 🙂

NeilRiley

Re: Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok? Should i restart my router?

Three weeks ago my download speed dropped from 6mb to 1mb (average from a 0.3 to 2mb range) overnight along with other people in my area and no body.... BT, Openreach and I guess the providers like Plusnet seem to be doing anything to resolve the issue (in fact, BT are almost denying there is an issue but so many people are affected).... three weeks!!  

Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok? Should i restart my router?

That doesn’t surprise me at all.

Is your phone affected? Have you run a BT line test? Have you done a quiet line test?

Your last resort is for all of those affected to meet their MP and get him/her to write to the CEO of BT to have their higher level fault team look at the problem which will possibly be at the exchange but probably in a cable between the exchange and you.

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Why when my issue looks to be a PLUSNET ROUTER FAULT?

router arrived 12/12 2016 so  its clearly still under warranty, but plusnet say there not interested in helping unless i pay them for another 12 months of dire / slow service.  so it seems the 12 month warranty is only 11 months if your lucky.

Mardler
Rising Star

I was replying to Neil Riley.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Apologies for the delayed response.

@ianbeeton67 Sorry to hear about the issues you've had. I can see your due to migrate away on the 27th but let us know if there's anything further we can help with

@NeilRiley Sorry to hear you're having issues with your speeds. I've tested your line and that's not showing any issues. Can you confirm if you're testing over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ianbeeton67
Grafter

Just to be clear, other than the guys on this forum, plusnet the company havent provided any assistance whatsoever.

My issues were really slow speeds, after many tests that plusnet insisted on that failed to work (bt wholesale speed test)plusnet insisted it was me who was failing to do the tests.  Thanks to the forum guys it was proved that it was the bt wholesale tests that were faulty.

its the router thats at fault & here's the kick in the face from plusnet!

because my 1st router plusnet claimed to have sent in november 2016 NEVER ARRIVING!!, me having 22 days without broadband!! plusnet finally sent me a router on 12/12/2016.

When that router failed WITHIN its 12 month warranty, PLUSNET refused to replace it !!

Thats bad customer service.  So re MIGRATING away, its purely due to plusnets poor customer service that were migrating.

Lets hope USWITCH voters who supposedly voted you best customer services awards get a true picture for the next vote.