cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok? Should i restart my router?

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok? Should i restart my router?

Hi, were not big users & have always thought plusnet is slow.  Weve just done 4 speed tests & the best result was Download=4.6mbs, Upload=0.8. 

Just wondering if plusnet are in breach of contract for supplying such a slow service, or do you experts think its ok.

Should I restart my router? Latest bt speed tests are even slower that the on above.

1. Best Effort Test:  Download Speed : 3.04 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: Upload Speed : 0.63 Mbps

FAQ

null

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
65 REPLIES 65
ianbeeton67
Grafter

Re: Slow has just got even sloower. Down=4.6, Up=0.8. Is that ok?

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  Download Speed : 3.04 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: Upload Speed : 0.63 Mbps
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Ian,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Is there a breach of contract ... well that would depend on a lot of things ... might be more productive to see what is happening on your line before talking turkey over contracts.

Before looking at the things you should check out, its worth noting that Plusnet - or any other ISP - has NOT GOT any real control over the speed of your internet.  That is predominantly predicated by the quality (or lack) of the connection from your home to the exchange.  This is all owned and maintained by BT Openreach - much of it is in a poor state of repair, was installed long before the demands of modern internet connectivity was even envisaged ... indeed long before 56kps was considered to be VERY fast.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

That looks like the BTW Performance site is once again faulty and PN cannot do anything until they get a full reading from them try Ookla and see if you achieve better results.

Been testing mine and on my site I have

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
53 Mb

On the Ookla I am getting 51.50Mbps D/L & 13.86Mbps U/L

On th BTW I am getting 48.98Mbps D/L & 5.03Mbps U/L

But I am FTTC

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

DATA speed tests in situations such as this - particularly anything other than BTw speed test (which sends the results to Plusnet) - really do not really help users in any way what so ever.

Results from DATA speed tests (which is often all you have on FTTC) is just vanity ... xDSL stats from the router (where available) is solid fact.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

So then why do PN give you Ookla as a speed test through your manage acount/connection settings see attached which gives me 52.3D/L 13.6U/L and why the U/L discrepancy with BTw down at 5U/L.

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Dialled 17070 option 2 & line seems quite clear, although im a bit deaf, but it sounded clear to me.

"Estimated line speed:11Mb (This may vary between 9Mb and 13Mb) - Checked on 2017-11-25 16:31:35Current line speed:9.5 Mb" lady at plusnet said i should be getting 9mb, bit I'm on average getting 3.5mb.

Its a plusnet supplied router, sadly its the only router we have, so cant try another, but we have changed the microfilter & its made no difference.

Mode: ADSL_2plus    
Traffic Type: ATM    
Link Power State: L0    

Downstream Upstream    
Line Coding(Trellis): On Off    
SNR Margin (1 dB): 6.0 5.0    
Attenuation (1 dB): 30.5 15.0    
Output Power (1 dBm): 20.8 12.2    
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11504 1260    

Path 0   Path 1  
  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 10685 910 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 19 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 166 45 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 4 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 2 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 12 12 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.4986 6.4000 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 2872 245 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 64 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 8 2 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 1.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 202485621 163051083 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 4859 101504 0 0
RS Words: 4575353 355643 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 633 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 23511 85257 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 14374301 1216874 0 0
Data Cells: 3794633 263703 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 711 0 0

Total ES: 1166 94990    
Total SES: 73 23    
Total UAS: 857 784
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The line synch speed is looking fair, though not as good as one might hope for on a 30dB attenuated line.  Can you please provide the speed estimate data and the distance from the exchange as requested above.  The reported attenuation suggests a line length of 2.2km - the information requested will either verify or refute that - possibly indicating a source of your problems.

The line profile (PN Current speed) is in line with the current reported synch speed, the SNRM is at 6dB so everything there is as expected.

Are you running these speed tests over an Ethernet cable connected to the router with WIFI SWITCHED OFF?  If not, it is not possible to be certain that is it not the wifi that is causing the issues, rather than something outside of your home.

Can you be certain that nothing else was using your internet connection at the same time - phones / tablets / TV / PVR - or indeed just your PC concurrently running windows update silently in the background.

To put those error counts in to some perspective, how long is it since the router last synch'd up xDSL?

@Gandalf

Could you please cast an eye over this for anything else - possibly VLAN loading - BRAS IP profile stuck?

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Sorry Towman, i missed that bit.

Distance:- Direct:    905 metres
Fixed ADSL:  5500 kbps (5.5 Mb)
DSL Max:   5500 kbps (5.5 Mb)
ADSL 2+ : 11500 kbps (11.5 Mb)

"To put those error counts in to some perspective, how long is it since the router last synch'd up xDSL?" I've powered off the pc, disconnected cable & rebooted pc & router, etc. if thats what the resyncing is.

yes speed tests done over an ethernet cable attached to the router.  WIFI was disabled via the plusnet router.

The plusnet lady said she could see from here end that we could / should be expecting speeds of 9mb.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is interesting - the line of performing below the estimate but above the minimum.  The line length is far shorter than the attenuation implies.  There might just be room for considering a low speed fault report here - certainly it would be good to know the results of a full CLT.

I recommend raising a broadband fault report ... and keep a watch on your support tickets - see the links below.

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Thanks Towman, A fault has already been raised last week. at this moment the fault is sowing "awaiting support", they did respond with,

"We have tested your line today and we have located an issue with your broadband service. We have now placed some modifications on your line, and this is will be applied within the next 24 hours. If you connect via wireless and you feel your connection speed is still low after 72 hours from today, then please check out the following guides to help you improve your wireless network:"

I immediately replied back saying its wasn't a slow wifi, i was complaining about it was a slow ethernet connection, but ive heard nowt back. 

The speeds havent got any better at all. I appreciate your help though. i must admit its a bit baffling to me.

This is on the fault record, but it means nothing to me.

KBD
BRAS 10799 Profile Info WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Problem Explanation: [NF37] KBD test indicates a potential intermittent connection or performance related issue.
Resolution/Recommendation: KBD test indicates no BTW network fault. Please review your End User checks, If no other underlying Issues are found use the Self Service Repair Tool (DLM) to increase the SNR margin, apply Interleaving etc. and/or consider changing the stability option by placing a modify order.
xDSL
Status Circuit In Sync
  Upstream Downstream
Loop loss 15.0 30.5
SNR Margin 5.4 6.0
Errored Seconds 16 0
HEC Errors 0  
Speed 880 10832
Maximum Stable Rate 9088 Fault Threshold Rate 7270
MTBR 86400 ILQ A
MTBE (Downstream) 8640 MTBE (Upstream) 41

SummaryMGALS Value: 7.93 Mbps | BTW Estimate: 9.5 Mbps

• Workplace profile was mismatched and has been updated

• No BT Wholesale speedtest has been performed on this connection

I have actually sent plusnet all the BT wholesale speed tests that i've done, so dont know what the above comment refers to,

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The above comment refers to the BTw backend systems sending the further diagnostic speed test results back to PlusNET - nothing to do with your helpful actions. That report refers to STABILITY not speed and the ‘fix’ suggested by BT will impact speed.

@Gandalf - can you review this please?

ianbeeton67
Grafter

Towman, thanks for all your help, unfortunately PLUSNET's award winning customer service have said.

"checking our systems, it indicates you are receiving the speeds within the estimated speeds for the area you are in."

Followed by, "look into upgrading to fiber if it is something you're interested in."

So it seems that the 3mb speeds Im getting is ok as far as plusnet are concerned, but they have been very helpful in suggesting that if im not happy with my slow speeds i should pay them more money for a slow fibre optic line.

i must admit I'm not that impressed wit their award winning customer service as it appears that they havent done anything at all.

Plusnet have sent me a different link to check my expected speeds & although when i spoke to the support agent last week who told me my exchange speeds were 9mb, it now looks to have dropped to a much lower speed, nearer to the 3mb that I'm getting.  Looks like instead of using copper wire my exchange is using string :-), but it deffo feels that just recently the speed have got slower.  Deffo wont be using plusnets fibre services though, so I'll have to have a look for a better isp who provides better value or money.

Thanks Towman for your assistance, its appreciated.

ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available  
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is a bit of this puzzle not quite falling into place.  Your sync speed is fairly good, where as your DATA rate is not.  Something still does not feel right here.

Have you done the BTw speed test / further diagnostics (sorry of your have already answered this...".

NOTE: If this issue is related to the BT infrastructure - the distance of your home from the exchange / cabinet changing ISP (unless you have an option on Virgin media) will not help ... it will still be the same inadequate BT line as the one you are connected to right now ... which BT claim there is no issue with.

Please sit tight to see what the escalation brings.