cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre connection

mrgarnett

Slow fibre connection

My speed took a nosedive on Monday so I raised a ticket 90903503 . This updated fairly quickly to say that a fault had been identified and that the relevant team had been advised. Although my speed seemed to rally on Tuesday it's gotten worse today. I've put 2 updates on the ticket but there's been no feedback from Plusnet. I've attached a screenshot of a speedtest taken at about 4.30 this afternoon.
Any chance someone can have a look at this and give me an update ?
10 REPLIES 10
mrgarnett

Is my speed being throttled ?

Raised a ticket on Monday because of slow speeds. Have been told there's nothing wrong with my line but the speed comes and goes but seems much slower in the evening which makes me wonder whether Plusnet have started to manage my speed. Is there any way of finding out ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Is my speed being throttled ?

Hi there, Welcome to the forum by the way.
The answer is yes there is ways of checking causes, but no, Plusnet won't be "throttling you" at all
I see you've started another thread, but could I suggest you post all the stuff in the other one, it's always better to keep things for one or related issues in the same thread as all the relevant information is in the one place and it makes it easier to follow.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is my speed being throttled ?

Plusnet haven't but it might be congestion at the exchange
Can you post the information requested here when there is and when there isn't a problem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html (except for the router stats as you can't get them on fibre)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow fibre connection

Topics merged - thanks Anotherone for spotting it
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

I was typing the same when the other one vanished!
MrGarnet,
A warm welcome to the forums, sorry to learn of your troubles.  PlusNet staff are not around the forums at the weekend, so you'll have to make do with helpful customers around here such as OldJIm and Anotherone.  The information requested will provide objective information to rule out some obvious issues.
PlusNet does not "manage speeds" - do you know which exchange you are on?  It is possible that your exchange is suffering congestion at times when lots of people are using the internet in your locality.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hello again mrgarnett and welcome again. I see Kevin beat me with his post  Grin
As you can see Oldjim, one of the forum moderators has kindly merged the two threads to help keep it altogether.
Oops, dear me, just looking at the results of that BT Speedtest, that's bad, certainly something wrong. It's definitely a fault. What time did you run that test?
Anotherone
Champion

Some of that stuff in Jim's link won't apply to Fibre, but what ever you do, don't turn off or unplug the modem from the line or the mains.
mrgarnett

thanks for the replies - I ran the test at 4.30 pm but my connection seems to back to normal this morning. I'll continue to monitor and post back here if the problem re-occurs.
Anotherone
Champion

Did you run your tests with a wireless connection or with an ethernet connection to the router?
If you think you have a speed problem, run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image) and also check your Current Line speed (Login required) which should match the BT IP Profile.
If the speedtest was done wirelessly and is down, do a further test via ethernet to confirm if it's a problem with the broadband connection or the wireless connection.
Which particular Fibre Product are you on? There is some Traffic management on some older Fibre products, but it certainly won't give speedtest results like yours was, and the management doesn't affect normal streaming, browsing or email.
petecov44
Grafter

Mines the same, it's gone from 53mbps to 41mbps . Ironically just AFTER the 30 days to leave was up.
Thank god I have plans to stop paying for it soon.