Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow during peek times

zapto
Grafter

Slow during peek times

Hi All,
I have an issue with peek times and the first connection times to websites. Once a connection is made websites are OK but not as good as off-peak. The issue starts around 15:30/16:00 and gets progressively worse until approx 22:00 and then fitters off and becomes normal again.
IP Profile for BT is 19.32 Mbps / 0.83 Mbps
Router Stats:
                     Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1116 21896
Max Rate (Kbps) 1120 21968
SNR Margin (dB) 7.6 3.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 0.9 6.4
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

DNS is Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) all connections via wired network. I am currently connected to the pcl-bng03 Gateway but this happens on different gateways.
Dialling 170707 and selecting quite line there is NO noise. Also this is plugged into the "Master" Socket (I have a pre-NTE5 socket with no master/no extensions), Filter has been changed.
As states above this is only during PEEK times.The only change in network etc is I changed form BT on the 5th December to PlusNET. However i assumed as the profile is stable the DSLAM Training had completed.

Cheers
24 REPLIES 24
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Slow during peek times

Hi Zapto,
A warm welcome to the forums.  This sounds like either exchange congestion or (I do hope not) night time AM/MW interference.
Do you know which exchange you are connected to?  Can you setup a TBB BQM?  Unless you have a fixed IP address, you will need to establish a new one each time you drop the PPP connection.  Thus will give some insight to packet loss on your line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

the first connection times to websites. Once a connection is made websites are OK

It could well be exchange congestion as Townman suggest, however it might also be DNS lookup issues. On the first request the DNS server will translate the URL to the IP address, this may be where that issue is coming from.
Can you try switching your DNS to 'automatic' or manually setting ours to see if that improves the issue tonight?
Plusnet DNS addresses are: 
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What OS are you using?
@Chris,
I've seen some recent very strange behaviour with Win8.1 in conjunction with PN DNS servers - see my long thread which awaits a PN touch.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zapto
Grafter

In reply to the above posts.
OS is Ubuntu 14.10, Windows 2008R2. Both physical hard wired boxes. DNS Is using Google DNS and OpenDNS as Forwarders. However this setup has been in place for the last 4 years and the issue started the fight night after migration to PlusNet..
I had a phone call from PN support (as ticket was open) who said that the SNR was a bit out of range so have asked for the line to be re-profiled and then hard pinned as upload is being max.
Also I have setup a TB BQM Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
That BQM plot looks horrible.
Can you please post a link to the "dynamic current" 24 hour plot please?  That looks like a plot for just 17th Dec.  Were you making heavy use of the internet up to midnight last night?

zapto
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Hi,
That BQM plot looks horrible.
Can you please post a link to the "dynamic current" 24 hour plot please?  That looks like a plot for just 17th Dec.  Were you making heavy use of the internet up to midnight last night?

Hi Townman, have updated the link. Copied the wrong one last night. This morning looks horrid also. I was in bed by 20:30 last night as felt like rubbish. again usage this morning isn't in keeping to actual usage.
I am going to srip out everything upto the "NTE" (I don't actually have a NTE5 I Have one of the older faceplates without a test socket).
My SamKnows box arrived yesterday so will have that setup also Smiley
ill keep you updated.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I can see one of our Faults agents has taken this on personally for you.
Let us know once you've stripped everything out.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure what part of internal wiring could possibly explain increased ping times during certain hours of the day. Any possible RFI (radio frequency interference) might cause packet loss, but I don't think it can cause individual ping packets to take longer to reach their destination and get a reply back. The SNR margin of 3 was not necessarily a problem in itself.
The format of the ADSL stats looks typical of certain TP-Link models, I wrote a program which can retrieve the CRC / FEC / HEC error counts from them.
zapto
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
I can see one of our Faults agents has taken this on personally for you.
Let us know once you've stripped everything out.

Hi Matthew, All is stripped out. There is only the router (with new filters) and a PC connected to the router.
Cheers
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@CRT,
What is the VLAN status for this user please?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Zapto
Thanks for that. I'd recommend keeping a eye on things tonight to see if the issue still occurs.
@Townman
There are only two VLANS for this exchange and both have plenty capacity spare.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
zapto
Grafter

I have been away this weekend (from 0800 sat and still out now) as you can see from the TB BQM there is alot of latency from around 6PM. The only device turned on is the router (combined modem router) without wifi.
Aby more suggestions? Also awaiting an officak anwser via support.
Cheers
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Zapto,
Hope you had a great weekend.  What does yesterday's BQM look like?
Quote from: zapto
I have been away this weekend (from 0800 sat and still out now) as you can see from the TB BQM there is a lot of latency from around 6PM.

I missed the "Still out" bit - so there is no device connected to the router at all?  CCTV / Sky box / any video streamer / someone else able to access the services?

@CRT,
So if this is not a CVLAN issue, what are we looking at now?  Splitter card?  DSLAM port issue?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's also a period of high latency at around 5am.
Quote from: zapto
I had a phone call from PN support (as ticket was open) who said that the SNR was a bit out of range so have asked for the line to be re-profiled and then hard pinned as upload is being max.

Can anyone clarify what "upload is being max" meant in the above? You would very likely get similar looking periods of high latency if your upstream bandwidth was being fully used. But maxing out the upload bandwidth has nothing much to do with the ADSL SNR.
Is there any possibility that a security flaw or mis-configuration of the router is allowing "hackers" to use your bandwidth?