cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download

trufflesdad
Grafter

Slow download

My d/load speed has dropped to 1mbps from 5 mbps.I have looked at the btw site and it tells me that 1mbps is
the maximum I can get.Looking into this I have tried 3 different routers,have reformatted the drive and reinstalled
the o/s {debian linux) and changed both socket filters all to no avail. I have also filled in the Plusnet broadband
faultfinder but as yet no information has come back to me apart from telling me my query and been passed to the
relevant group.Any help appreciated...
13 REPLIES 13
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Slow download

Hi Truffelsdad,
Please supply the information requested in the Speed issues thread linked to below.
Is there noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.  If there is noise on the line and your phone line is supplied by PlusNet, then report a phone fault using the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line hasn't looked particularly great over the last month, it's been dropping out quite often. Due to these issues the line is 'banded' meaning that the speed has been restricted to try to aid the stability. Since this happened there have been very few drops in comparison.
The quiet line test is a very good step, if there's any noise on this you need to report it to your phone provider.
Is your router plugged into the master socket without the use of extension leads?
Line stats:
Loop Loss:  8.5  19.0 
SNR Margin:  5.9  32.8
Speed:  1008  1148 
Profile: WBC 576K - 1M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
trufflesdad
Grafter

Broadband troubleshooter

How long  is it usual to wait to get a reply from the broadband troubleshooter ?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Broadband troubleshooter

Automated testing usually takes about 24 hours. Based on your ticket, I'd expect a reply to be imminent.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've tested your line and notice it's banded. The banding is quite severe which would suggest why you see such slower speeds. A 33db SNR is not good! Before we raise the issue to our supplier, can you please confirm if you've tried the router into the test/master socket? 
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

two threads merged
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Townman
Please supply the information requested in the Speed issues thread linked to below.
Is there noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.  If there is noise on the line and your phone line is supplied by PlusNet, then report a phone fault using the link below.

Quote from: Chris
The quiet line test is a very good step, if there's any noise on this you need to report it to your phone provider.

Does Chris' comment imply that your phone provider is not PlusNet?  If there are any issues with the phone line, then it is pointless trying to progress a broadband issue until the phone line issue is addressed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

trufflesdad
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
I've tested your line and notice it's banded. The banding is quite severe which would suggest why you see such slower speeds. A 33db SNR is not good! Before we raise the issue to our supplier, can you please confirm if you've tried the router into the test/master socket? 

I have tried the master socket..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you done the quiet line test?  There is no point trying to progress a broadband fault is there are issues with the voice service.

trufflesdad
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Have you done the quiet line test?  There is no point trying to progress a broadband fault is there are issues with the voice service.

I have done the quiet line test..
Chris
Legend

Quote from: trufflesdad
I have tried the master socket..

Are you not normally plugged into the master socket?
Quote from: trufflesdad
I have done the quiet line test..

What was the outcome? Any noises at all, crackles, pops hisses etc?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

The line is actually looking a lot better now, we're seeing no drops and very few errors. Based on that I'm going to try an SNR reset.
trufflesdad
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The line is actually looking a lot better now, we're seeing no drops and very few errors. Based on that I'm going to try an SNR reset.

Really good now speed at 17mbps...Thanks to all who replied to my plea Grin