Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download, upload...everything

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow download, upload...everything

The only thing which resets the router log etc is a reboot of the router
Disconnecting and reconnecting the DSL will resync the router so the stats will change (speed, noise margin etc.)
Disconnecting and reconnecting the Internet only disconnects you from the Plusnet connection so the router remains in sync with the exchange
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Got my new router. Waited til today to set it up without being hurried. Connected one ok but the other laptop wouldn't connect. So I rang the helpline and was told how to change channel. Followed the instructions and now searching for networks doesn't even find plusnet.  This is taking over my life. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.!!. Am I missing something ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rogadodge,
What OS's are on the laptops? And is it the new v8 router?
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Yes Jo is new router. Got one laptop back now. Other one using FireFox  and windows xp. Can get into router and change channel but then lose sight of it.  Trying again now. Many deep breaths later and a cold ale to sip.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Ok. 2 weeks since last post. Speed was great, then it has dropped slowly til now it is really slow.  I can't understand it as nothing has changed in the set-up.  Whatever is happening is outside the house or interference from outside the house. here is the Kitz  result.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:12:36
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 15,275 / 2,828
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 2,584
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.81 / 6.60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.0 / 49.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 13,502 / 4,223
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 31,932 / 17
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 10,265 / 45
Please note , I had to reset as I couldn't access the router wirelessly.  Which is why the uptime is so short.
here vis speed test for today (now).

My profile on the PN site says 500, BUT the Kitz says 2584. Why the disparity?

Any suggestions anyone?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Kitz does give or know the profile - you need to run the BT speedtest to see what that profile is
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jim, tried to run BT speedtest. Stops working on verify details. Gave it time too, 6 hours, but not working. Huh
  life is good.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

here are two alternative links - one may work
http://217.32.105.42:50301/
http://217.35.209.142/
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rogadodge,
The main thing I can see is that your line is dropping an awful lot. Although you have posted the latest speed results in an open ticket, this is not a fault ticket. If you visit our dropping connection guide and make sure you have your connection as suggested there then you can raise a fault at the bottom of the page. Once you have done this, let me know and I will have it picked up.
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jo, will do that.
Thanks Jim, but still unable to proceed beyond the'verifying details'  part. Not seeing any movement on progress bar. Most odd as it used to work.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jojo,
              I have followed the instructions and put in a report. It has been passed on to the '3rd line faults team'. I do have one question, forgive an ignorant old man but, I have another router now though i haven't connected it yet.
Is it possible to connect it to a spare socket and use the Lan cable to connect the desktop whilst the laptop is connected to the thompson at the same time? So in effect run 2 routers independantly?  The idea being that once up and running I can then switch off the thompson so to  try using the edimax and see if this helps with the connection issue.
The main reason for running 2 is so I can access the web whilst setting up the other router. I have a disc but no documentation for it and may need to access help on-line.
Another reason is, if it works I can then access the broadband on my desktop without trailing leads everywhere.
One more thought I have had is, if broadband is affected by radio interference, is it possible for my neighbours phone/wireless broadband/videosender (for example) to interfere with my broadband?  The reason I ask is that if I do a scan for wireless I find maybe 20 others in range. So logically if I can see them , it is possible for anything causing interference to travel the same distance and so create problems.
Clutching at straws here, watched eggheads on i-player, and it took an hour and five minutes because of the constant buffering.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

only one router per phone line - sorry, but it is possible to use the same username from two different locations at the same time
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That isn't safe as all hell breaks out if the same IP is allocated to the routers at both locations. I'd also suspect that it would cause problems with usage calculation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

ok thanks guys. will have to remove thomson first. guess it means a long cable then to get desktop connected, or a network card. Sad
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Here is the last message in the Help (cough-cough) assistant. posted on 7th december.
Dear Mr Rodgers,
Thank you for getting back to us,
I have sent the previous ticket back to the correct pool to avoid confusion and raised this new one for you.
I can see that you have raised a fault regarding your connection now, which is great, that would of been what I would of advised also.
Basically the procedure now, your issues is in good hands, our 3rd line faults team will be testing on your connection over the next few days (So it's important you leave your router on) and they will give you a call once they have any information for you, it shouldn't be much more than 48 - 72 hours from you raising the issue.
The speed issues you are having are unfortunately a symptom of the disconnections you are experiencing on your lines, once we manage to get you connected without a drop out, we will be able to boost your speeds back up.
I am sorry that, at this moment in time, there is not much more information I can give you but I wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted, it may be a case of getting you an engineer out, but only time will tell.
Let us know if we can be of any further assistance, however please reply to this ticket not the other one to avoid confusion.
You can check your account online at http://my.plus.net find guides to our services at http://support.plus.net or check out our community at http://community.plus.net
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              0845 140 0200      end_of_the_skype_highlighting if we can be of further assistance.
And here is my response, some 9 days later.

This is getting ridiculous!
I have had problems with speed/connections since day 1.
i get a good,stable line for a few days and my speed goes up, then i get lots of instability and it plummets. again, less thasn 24 hrs after having 1.25Mb i am back to 500Kbps.
It is unusable for my primary use, which is gaming. and please don't give me another 'freephone' line. I have no idea how to use it, and I do not have a modem. The freephone line is a temporary salve for yourselves and of no real benefit to me.
Your last letter, dated the 7th december, stated
"..Basically the procedure now, your issues is in good hands, our 3rd line faults team will be testing on your connection over the next few days (So it's important you leave your router on) and they will give you a call once they have any information for you, it shouldn't be much more than 48 - 72 hours from you raising the issue..."
well, it has been 216 plus hours by my reckoning, and the 'very good hands' have neither resolved the problem nor contacted me.
Can you give me definitive answer please...Can you provide me with a usable internet service?

Any knights in shining armour springingf to plusnets defence?