Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download, upload...everything

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow download, upload...everything

Thanks Jo and Jim.
                                  To answer your questions, I am (or not) using the test socket. I do not have a socket as shown in the illustration. My set-up is:
Outside the house ,by the front dooe there is a grey BT openreach contraption. Immediately inside the house is what I believe is the first socket. A single telephone socket, with no removable plate. Around the house are 2 further sockets - exactly the same.
Connected to these are , just inside the front door, the router via a filter. And in another socket,approx 10 meters away, a telephone- again via a filter.  We do not have sky, or anything else connected to the telephone line.
There has been no change in the set-up since the test roiter was fitted. The heating ( which I believe the timer could be an issue) has not been altered in any way. Timings, nor temperature.
As for the downstream SNR, it is not something i have been watching. I did not realise the importance. I was watching disconnections and errors.
I can think of nothing that has happened in the house/property that has changed.  Surely this would suggest something external to the property?
There is an awful lot of BT activity in the area for the past few weeks.
here is the Kitz for tonight, if that helps
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 14:08:03
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 2,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 23.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 130 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 90 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 207 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 867
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 101,110 / 0
I have had a message to return the test router, and they also say if i have any problems installing 'the new router'...does this mean they are sending a new router or is this a standard message?
I do want to get this sorted, as i cannot watch streaming media and webcam calls to overseas family are like talking to Max Headroom ! !
( Bet you don't remember him).  Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Those stats show a downstream SN Margin  of 23.0dB which is very high, especially if they were taken at 9PM. I suggest waiting until daylight (after 10AM) then restart the router, record and post the stats shortly afterwards. The SN Margin then should be close to the target value. Hopefully the sync speed will increase significantly though throughput won't increase until the IP Profile increases and PN's Profile catches up.
Also I suggest monitoring sync speeds and noise margins using Routerstats from here - the full version should work with the Thomson router and provides access to more router information. This should help identify when sync is lost so potential causes can be considered.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The noise margin is high as the line has been banded
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks all. I have just about reached a conclusion following a 'conversation' with a Plusnet assistant. The conclusion is that I should never have signed to plusnet. The woman was not aware of the problems i am having and only seemed interested in me 'buying' the test router. Though she couldn't tell me whether my original router was at fault. The conversation went round in circles, and i had to cut it short before i said something I would regret.
As the lady I spoke to can confirm, the telephone line/connection was terrible - we even got disconnected. So with a lousy telephone service and an erratic internet connection , Maybe it is time to say enough is enough. Angry
magnetism2772
Grafter

best that you wait and let one of the plusnet team that visit here  take up this fault with you on
monday
as its repairable
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Hi, Spraxyt suggested I try resetting the router after 10am and retesting. So what I have done,as I needed to return the test router, is to replace the router with the old one  and retest.I don't know whether the old router was at fault or not - the person I spoke to at Plusnet couldn't /wouldn't tell me.
There are a lot of errors on the upload section - could this be due the fact I forgot to change the password and kept retrying with the old one? However, here are the results.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:11
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2,272
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 26.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 101,118 / 0
I have also given up on the 1st socket, which I assumed was the test/engineers socket, and for peace of mind from mrs moved the router upstairs to a bedroom. Will retest later this afternoon for a comparison.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: rogadodge
As the lady I spoke to can confirm, the telephone line/connection was terrible - we even got disconnected.

If you unplug your router and filter and just plug the phone directly in to the socket is the line still noisy? Have you tried with a different handset? If it is still noisy you should absolutely NOT be reporting problems with your broadband. By doing that you have people looking in the wrong place.
You need to concentrate on getting the quality of the line fixed by reporting it to whoever you pay for your telephone. It's almost certain that once that is done the broadband will recover all by itself.
Broadband can only be as good as the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Strangely enough i pay plusnet for the telephone line.  The line is not noisy, just very faint on occasion.
I will get another telephone and try it tommorrow (monday). In the meantime here is the katz test from this evening. Bear in mind that this is from a different socket, not the one i assume is the first socket in the house.
Uptime: 0 days, 8:17:25
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2,272
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 25.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 370
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 101,118 / 0
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As Oldjim pointed out in his post following mine the reason your downstream noise margin is so high is that the DLM has put you on a banded profile (1152-2272kbps) because of what it sees as connection problems. It seems those connection problems might well not be only broadband related but voice as well.
Whilst we assumed in reply #48 you meant voice communications were noisy, in fact from reply #52 it seems the problem is that conversations are sometimes too faint to hear. Either way that could well be having a knock on effect on your broadband service and needs sorting out first. Since PN also provide your phone service I suggest reporting the voice fault to them. It might be necessary for any ongoing broadband fault to be closed until the voice fault is corrected but in my view that is the right approach.
As to whether the router you are currently using is faulty or not - I don't regard starting off with 101,118 upstream HEC errors as a good omen. However the number of errors accruing in 8 hours up time is trivial - not surprising since the line is running well below the speeds it is capable of. I would be inclined to try a hard reset (using the pinhole button on the back of the router), then set the router up again from scratch. In fact I think in earlier posts you mentioned easy set-up was configured so if left alone it might well connect and configure itself.
If those errors don't go away following reset, perhaps it is an indication that it is faulty.
David
magnetism2772
Grafter

one last thing
if your phone amplification  seems  faint ? check the holes in the telephone earpiece are clear
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rogadodge,
The interleaving seems to have stabilised the errors and you're syncing at the top of the banding so I'm going to try lifting the banding and see how we go. I'll let you know when it's taken effect.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rogadodge,
Ok, that's done now. Your profile is now up to 4500k and the SNR is now 7.1dB. You may need to reboot to see this (via the router interface) At this point you may also get a higher sync rate which would then allow for a higher profile.... hopefully!
Jojo Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

This is  CRAZY … I had problems with disconnections earlier today.. Finally I couldn’t get connected. I rang the helpline ,and was told there was a problem with  a ‘board’ I was connected to in the exchange, and was advised to switch off  my router for 65 minutes or more to force the exchange to connect me to a different board.
This I did. I switch the router on about 19.30, and connected the laptop about 20.30. By 20.50 I had been disconnected many times and finally was unable to connect.
I rang the helpline, and a gentleman had me connect via cable, and I got connection. Hooray!!
He told me he felt it was a router fault and is sending me a new one. Hooray!!
Two minutes later I was disconnected and unable to connect. Boo!!
I am going to use the test router ( which is how i am able to send this-I was told to by the helpdesk assistant).
Strangely enough this test router doesn't get hot enough to cook toast on- unlike the first one.
The question I need to ask is  ' how do I reboot via the router interface?' . Is it through one of these from the kitz page?
Pick a task...
Setup my Thomson Gateway
Restart my Thomson Gateway
Reset my Thomson Gateway
View event logs
Check connectivity to the Internet.
And is it straightforward or am i going to have problems?
Do I see light at the end of the tunnel - or is it a freight train heading straight for me? Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is something like this picture from the manual except that where it says connect it will say disconnect then after disconnecting it will say connect
Essentially you are disconnecting from the internet not from DSL Connection
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Does this disconnect/ reconnect reset the router stats? Sorry jim if seems a basic question, but I am new to mainstream broadband. Only used mobile broadband before. And never had a problem ( except in a thunderstorm - then signal dropped).  Cool