cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds, High sync and profile speed

rogerdygas
Dabbler

Slow download speeds, High sync and profile speed

Hi everybody I hope somebody can help Im getting slow download speeds but my profile and sync speeds are very good. I have done all test whilst being connected to the test point, im not using any extensions and connecting directly to the master socket.
Router Stats:
Noise Margin: 6.3db
Speed Up: 15263 kbs
Speed Down: 445 kbs
Attenuation Up: 33.9 dB
Attenuation Down: 17.6 dB
BT Speedtest results
Download Speed: 6.35Mbps
Acceptable download speed: 4Mbps-21Mbps
IP Profile: 13.48Mbps
Upload speed: 0.37Mbps
Upstream profile: 0.46Mbps
Current Line speed from PlusNet account: 13.4Mb
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow download speeds, High sync and profile speed

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I can see that we've already responded to you on ticket 58413562 this morning. Let me know if you need any further help.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rogerdygas
Dabbler

Yes I have received the reply but I think I should be getting a bit closer to my sync speed and I think my upload speed should be higher
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
I would agree that I'd expect the download speeds should be nearer to the sync speed. As you may or may not know your type of connection sets a "line rate" which should be 88.2% of the sync speed and that speed test result you provided was quite below that, however that speed test was just a snap-shot of a given moment of the speed of your connection and speeds can vary. So I'm going to advise that you perform some more speed tests regularly over a longer period of time. Perhaps you might want to consider running 2 or 3 spread out over the course of a day for a few days.
With regards to upload speeds yours is set to 448kbps which is correct for your connection, we can uncap this if you like.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rogerdygas
Dabbler

Ok I will do some more tests.
If you uncap my upload speed could it result in instability? What are the con's if any?
Please could you put me on a fastpath profile?
Thank you for your prompt response
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem,
Uncapping the upstream can lead to a very slight reduction in downstream speeds, however that is very marginal and of course as with fast path it can be reversed should you not want to continue with it.
Just let me know if you want to proceed and I'll request uncapped upsteam and fastpath on the same order to our suppliers.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rogerdygas
Dabbler

OK I would like to uncap the upload and go on fastpath please.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There's already an order on our suppliers systems to put you onto fast path tomorrow so I'll revisit this tomorrow morning to raise another order for uncapped upstream, that should just take another day to go through.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
I can see our faults team have decided it's best to raise a speed fault with our suppliers, that also bars us from placing any orders to change your service so I'm advising that you perhaps give one of us a nudge after the fault has been resolved then we'll place an order to uncap the upstream for you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team