cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed

adonner02

Slow download speed

I recently moved from TalkTalk on the understanding that my broadband speed would be considerably increased to at least 11 mps. I was getting about 6mps and now get 7.2
Plusnet technical support confirm that 7.2 is my optimum speed. I enquired about Fibre broadband but they said it was not available in my area and could not tell me when it would be.
What now?
12 REPLIES 12
zapto
Grafter

Re: Slow download speed

You have gained 1.2mbps in speed. thats not too bad just for switching iSP. Do you have any line stats you can post? Also do you know your line length?
What town are you in, as fiber is being rolled out slowly. What does this website say about your fiber rollout
https://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let me take a look at what's happening on your account too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Your line is looking stable, no dropped connections for over 9 days. That's a good start.
With the attenuation I'm seeing, I'd expect your line to be performing at a higher speed than it currently is. I've also spotted that your upload is capped, I'll get this removed for tomorrow.
Are you connected to your master socket (or test socket?)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I'm just about to run an intrusive line test, so you may lose connection for 2-3 minutes.
OK, we're seeing a few errors on the line but otherwise there's no obvious issue. I'd suggest letting the uncap order for the upstream complete overnight, and ensuring your router is connected to the master socket.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Please post all of the information requested here -
Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone.
Are there any extensions?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adonner02

The phone line is quiet and I have 4 telephone points but no master socket.
dick:quote
Chris
Legend

The upload uncap has completed and your line is connecting at 936 on the upstream now. The download is significantly below where I'd expect.
Can you see where the external line comes in to the property? The master socket can normally be tracked from that.
adonner02

The external line comes up the front wall of the property into an upstairs bedroom then disappears inside the window sill probably into a wall. There is no visible master socket. The house is about 100 years old.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Without finding your master socket, you're probably not going to get much more out of the line.
It's possible that you could have an engineer out, but I wouldn't advise that as it may be chargeable. On the other hand, it could be a good idea to sort your master socket out.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
adonner02

Could an engineer install a master socket?  What would be the charge?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Yes he would install a master socket.
It's hard to say with the charges. It all depends if there is a fault or not. I'd be willing to give it ago and arrange someone to come out, but without a fault you could be billed £60.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
adonner02

Thanks, I will be in touch outside the forum messaging