Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed in the evening

FIXED
yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Slow download speed in the evening

Hi there, hoping to get some insight here as situation is getting really upsetting.

Been with plusnet for few years - no problems. 1 month ago the line was slammed by BT (without letting us know). They've come and installed the "new" line. Since then - comes 6 PM, the speed drops from usual 39 Mbps down to 1.2Mbps with latency going from 7ms to 400 ms.

Engineer been over today at 2PM (and at THAT time it works fine), and said he can not see the problem. Comes 6 PM - and here we go again.. 

Is there a way to test that line in the evening and find and fix the problem? Could it be they assigned a congested line or i don;t know... 

@Gandalf  I've seen a lengthy discussion in this topic - https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-Broadband-in-the-evenings/td-p/1498256/page/4    Could it be the same problem?  Timing looks exactly the same.. 

12 REPLIES 12
yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Re: Slow download speed in the evening

And I've tried to eliminate usual suspects - like bad quality of wifi (ping to router is 2ms, at all times), used cable as well, used only one device in the flat, even reset the router to factory settings and reconfigured, etc.. etc.. etc..  

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@yyurchuk05

I've tested your line and can confirm it's a hot VLAN. I'm dumbfounded as to why we booked an engineer for someone to come out to site for this issue, but I can see that happened and the engineer has blamed your router... 

I've spoken to Openreach today and they've passed it to complex faults, and I've moved the ticket to be monitored by us. 

I actually think you'd have still had this issue on the old line that was slammed and the slamming was coincidental to this problem happening. When I've spoken to Wholesale what I will say is that the final fix date for everything is not actually until December 21st but it looks like the hot VLAN is also tied with an order to install some new infrastructure in the area too. We've been asked to check back on the 22nd so I've put the ticket on hold for us to do that. 

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Thank you for your reply @JOLO  I am sorry, what?? This issue will persist till December 22nd!??  

Yes, engineer has blamed the router and changing the router did not fix the issue at all... Old line did not have that issue either, but if you say it is coincidental...

What I am not clear about - is that they actually TOLD you that till December your 39Mbps customers will be sitting on 1.2Mbps speed in the evenings?? 

If we talking about fixing this in December - can you please move us to another VLAN meanwhile? I have 3 people working from the flat in the evenings and 400ms latency and low speeds are absolutely impossible to deal with...  

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@yyurchuk05,

You've misunderstood what I've said.

I said that multiple infrastructure work is being undertaken and all of it will be take until  21st December to be complete. This is what they have advised.

That doesn't mean the VLAN issue will be present until then, which is the issue that you, and others, have.

We can't just move you to a different VLAN, that is not how it works. The VLAN issue is being looked into and as I've advised we're to check back on the 22nd when that particular issue should be resolved.

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

@JOLO

Sorry I still don't understand. Maybe it is how the dates lined up but:

"..it will be take until  21st December to be complete. ....we're to check back on the 22nd when that particular issue should be resolved."  

Does the above means, the next time you are going to check on this issue will be 22nd of December?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@yyurchuk05,

Ah sorry! My bad. When I said the 22nd I omitted an important piece of information that would have helped quite a bit. I meant we're to check on the VLAN issue on the 22nd October

I'm so sorry.

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Oh, phew Smiley Got it - thank you @JOLO really appreciate your help with this!

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Again @yyurchuk05, I'm terribly sorry for my badly worded mistake (that I made twice!) It's been a long day. 

Give us a nudge on Monday and we'll check it again for you and give you any update we can. 

Have a good weekend!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hey. I've checked your fault report and I can see our suppliers have advised us that the move has completed. Could you let us know if you're still having issues? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yyurchuk05
Dabbler

Thank you @Gandalf Will do - waiting for the evening here, as the issues only happened after 6 - 7 PM before

yyurchuk05
Dabbler

@Gandalf Thank you for your time - it does look like the problem is fixed! 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for letting us know, @yyurchuk05

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us if you need ever need more assistance. 

Make sur