Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed compared to line speed

garysargent
Dabbler

Slow download speed compared to line speed

Hi,
Since moving onto the ADSL2 trial I don't seem to get a download speed that represents the line speed I am connecting at.
My router has connected as follows (I asked for upstream to be reduced):
Upstream 444
Downstream 4076
SNR Margin(Upstream) 9.6
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.0
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 38.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.5
When I run a speed test at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ I get download 2721 and upload 375. This seems to be what I get when downloading too - around 2.7 Mbps.
Why am I not getting closer to 4Mbps?
Cheers,
Gary.
10 REPLIES 10
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow download speed compared to line speed

I get similar. Sync at 6 to 7Mbps, and I'm getting an average download more around 1 to 2Mbps, whereas I would generally be guaranteed about 1Mbps below sync on a speed test before the switch. It's better than when it started out though when I had just 0.5Mbps at peak hours!
Out of interest, are these speeds at peak times? I've got another thread on this and have had some help that seems to have improved things, but it's still way below sync. The issue as I understand it is congested exchanges for 21CN. One would hope this would improve with investment in capacity, especially as BT are rolling this out to their customers as otherwise it will just get worse!
garysargent
Dabbler

I don't think it is capacity related. I took the speed reading at 10am Saturday. Just took ones now at 23:40 Saturday and got almost identical values.
Strangely the download speed I'm getting is identical to when I was on ADSL1. So with ADSL2+ I get about 1Mbps extra line speed, but no extra download speed?!
paulby
Grafter

It could be that your profiled line speed hasn't updated on PN's systems yet.  What does it say here?  (You'll need to login when you follow the link)
You may alsso need to run a BT Speedtest to find out what your line is profiled at by BT.  The BT & PN figures should match.
I've just checked mine since moving to ADSL2+ on Thursday and my PN figure currently isn't aligned with BT's - infact it hasn't moved from my old line profile.
@Jameseh: Any chance you could nudge mine in the right direction if you read this!?
garysargent
Dabbler

Doesn't look quite right at the plus net end as it thinks i'm on 3Mbps.
PlusNet says:
Telephone number:
01924xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
WAKEFIELD
Estimated line speed:
2.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-03-11 00:35:58
Current line speed:
BT SpeedTest says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2630 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :4076 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps
paulby
Grafter

Hopefully Jameseh will see this thread today and will be able to check if your profile has updated or not.  There can sometimes be a lag between BT updating your profile and PN picking it up.
garysargent
Dabbler

The PlusNet profile seemed to change last night and I did seem to get faster download:
Telephone number:
01924xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
WAKEFIELD
Estimated line speed:
2.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-03-11 00:35:58
Current line speed:
I was upgraded to ADSL2+ on Tuesday so it took a while to change.
I don't seem to have many (if any) disconnects - the connection seems very stable. I thought the first few days it trained and tried different speeds? Any way I can force it to try to connect at a slightly faster speed?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@ garysargent
Your profile on our side matches the BT one at 3500 now, have your speeds changed to show that increase?
@Paul03
I'm taking a look at yours now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Paul03
There was a missing piece of information on your account from when you moved to ADSL2+, hence our system not picking up the correct profile. I've updated this and the profile now matches with the BT one at 2000.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulby
Grafter

Thanks for that Chris  Smiley
garysargent
Dabbler

My download seems to be much improved and close to the linespeed now.
Thanks.