cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed after numerous dropouts.

marianuk
Grafter

Slow download speed after numerous dropouts.

My internet was dropping out like crazy for about a week (I'm guessing to do with the weather). It now seems to have stabilised for the last few days, but my down speed is only about 2.7 Mbps, should be at least 6 Mbps. Upload speed is fine.
Are there stil any problems with my line, or will the speed pick up shortly?
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow download speed after numerous dropouts.

Hi there,
I've just submitted an SNR reset which should bring the speeds back in line with what you're used to. That should go through within the next few hours.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
marianuk
Grafter

Thanks. The line seems a little more stable, but there is still the odd dropout.. The download speed still only maxes out at 3.5 Mbps. According to bt wholesale test, my max achievable speed is 4 Mbps. Why has it been lowered, because I was previously receiving about 6.2 Mbps at least.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Basically there's an automated system (Dynamic Line Management) at the exchange that regulates the speed of your line. Slower speeds means a line is more stable, so if this system registers drops in connection it'll lower the line's speed in order to prevent it dropping out.
This will be what's happened in your case, though if the drops have stopped now it should start to sync at higher levels - we can reset the line and let it retrain, again though this is only worth doing if the line isn't dropping connection or it won't train to its best possible speed.
marianuk
Grafter

My internet is with Plusnet and my phone line with BT. The line is more stable now, but whenever someone uses the phone, the internet connection now drops out every time. Everything was working fine up unitl 3 weeks ago. Any idea what's causing this?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Try changing the filter on the phone, normally the culprit for your connection disconnecting if you use the phone.
But any noise on the line when you use it, hissing or crackling?  If there is first try another phone if you can to rule it out, if not report a phone fault to BT, that will be the main problem.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
marianuk
Grafter

Filters are not the problem, changed all of them, doesn't help. When I pick up the phone, the dial tone is intermittent, but calls can be made sometimes noisy on the phone on the main socket.  Then the internet will drop out.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Then BT first to fix your phone line noise.  But unless they supplied the phone and own it, try another phone on the master socket if you can to rule it out.  If not they could charge for the call out.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
marianuk
Grafter

Thanks for your help.