cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download on one device over wi-fi

BigGom
Dabbler

Slow download on one device over wi-fi

As per the title, we have one phone in the family which is suffering from a slow wi-fi connection and I mean slow! Just done a test 3.34 down, 6.64 up.
We have a WiFi mesh which covers the whole house and all other devices are well up near the 79 we should be getting.
I've been trying to sort for a few weeks, done full reset of the phone, checked that the phone wasn't identified anywhere in the router or mesh settings to make it any different to other devices.
It went through my mind that the phone may be faulty or have received an update which has affected the wifi but I have tried it on another 3 different WiFi networks and it gets the same speeds as other phones which run full speed at our house.
Interestingly if I use a VPN I get 3 or 4 times the speed, better but still not great.
This leads me to believe that the restriction may actually be outside my property i.e. plus.net's side of the router.
Anyone have any ideas?
25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Slow download on one device over wi-fi

@BigGom Welcome to the forums. To be honest, if it is just the one phone, and despite it being 'better but not as good as' other ones outside your home, I would be blaming the phone - PN won't have targetted one device - they can't.

Are the other phones different makes/models?

John
BigGom
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply, we have four phones at home, all different models. The other three get similar speeds at home around 70mbps where the other phone gets around 3. When we visit my mother's and other friends houses and test all four phones they all get similar speeds, generally 20mbps + depending on the connection at the property.
jab1
Legend

OK. I assume your mesh network doesn't involve any Plusnet equipment - it can't really as PN don't supply any. Are the phones of different ages/specifications? I know almost nothing of mesh networks, but I'm just wondering if the problem phone is an old one that may not be compatible? It certainly isn't a PN issue.

John
BigGom
Dabbler

They are of different specification and ages but not drastically different in age. The thing is it used to be fine, nothing has changed on our own network within the home. The phone will have had updates but it only seems to have an issue at our house.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Got to agree with @jab1   on this cannot be a PN issue.

But any testing over Wi-Fi especially on a phone is liable to have variable results.

Is it causing any issues or are you just looking for problems ?

jab1
Legend

OK. Slightly outside my area of experience, but if you list the makes, models and s/w version of each phone, I will tag a couple of other Community members who may have more insight.

@MisterW  /  @Dan_the_Van  / @Baldrick1  - any ideas?

John
jab1
Legend

@Mustrum I don't think the OP is looking for problems - just advice, but you can't do a wired test on a phone. 😉

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jab1   I am sure you are right, just thinking the issue would be difficult to work out, but also wanted to support your thinking re the OP's conclusion in the first post was not valid.

But also wondered if it was actually causing any issues.

jab1
Legend

Understand, @Mustrum , and thanks for the support. Mind you, I'd be a bit suspicious if only one device out of four displayed 'unusual' behaviour.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards a mesh system/phone incompatibility issue, but I don't know enough about mesh to pass any valid comments.

John
BigGom
Dabbler

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I don't think it can be an issue with the mesh, nothing has been changed on that and it was originally set up using the problem phone. I still get a slow connection when I connect direct to the router. I'm definitely not looking for problems, it's extremely frustrating trying to use the phone when you have to wait ages for anything to happen.
The problem phone is a HUAWEI P30 lite I can't find the s/w info. Unfortunately no one else is home so can't provide details of the others, I know we have an iPhone and a Google pixel not sure of the other or the actual models.
jab1
Legend

OK, @BigGom . To be honest I have only ever used Apple smart phones, but the s/w info is probably some where in the settings/general area on the phone. Out of curiosity, how old is that phone?

Certainly sounds like a phone issue to me, though.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Have you got any device on your network configured with a static ip that happens to be the same as the one allocated to the problem phone ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

That's a thought, @MisterW , and not one that struck me.

John
BigGom
Dabbler

I don't believe so anything has the same IP, certainly nothing stood out when I was looking at the list of devices connected to the router or mesh but I will check again tomorrow when everyone is home and everything connected.