Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download, normal upload broadband speed? [SORTED]

strider
Grafter

Slow download, normal upload broadband speed? [SORTED]

Hi all,
I normally get a download speed (based on MyBroadband Speed Tester) over 4000 kbs.  The past 2 days this has dropped to 142 kbs.  Interestingly my upload speed has stayed at about 372 kbs (a little down on the normal 380 kbs).
The connection appears to be stable.  i.e. no apparent drops, just dial-up modem slow.
1) Could this be part of the problems that BT are having?
2) Why is my download speed lower than my upload?
If the problem is still present tomorrow, I will put my shorts on and do the dance in the rain while beating myself with a mackerel (I prefer salmon but we don't have any in the fridge at the moment).
Ho hum...
11 REPLIES 11
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Slow download, normal upload broadband speed?

What does your router / modem report regarding sync speed, SNR margin, etc.?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
strider
Grafter

Hi walker23,
Is this the information you are after:
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Path Mode: Fast
Downstream Rate: 5538 kbps
Upstream Rate: 439 kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 25 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 38 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 11 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 12 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 21 db
Undecided
w23
Pro

Yes, that's the right info.
Nothing there looks particularly wrong so it doesn't appear to be a line issue.
The Downstream margin of 12 is a little higher than ideal, you may have had some instability or disconnections that have caused the exchange equipment to increase from the 'ideal' margin of 6dB, if this is the case then your BT line profile may be set low if you have has a very low sync at some time, you can hopefully get your BP profile by running http://speedtester.bt.com, alternatively check the PlusNet line profile (which should match) at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (look for 'Current Line speed').
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
strider
Grafter

Hi walker23,
I check the link to the 'Current Line Speed' and it says it is 4.5 Mb
w23
Pro

Problem almost certainly nothing to do with line profile as that figure is about right for your current sync.
Down to VP capacity, congestion or similar issue on the BT network, others may be able to expand and offer further assistance but I have to log off now, sorry.
Call me 'w23'
strider
Grafter

Thanks for you help walker23,
I'll have to log soon.
Got the BT Speed test to work (an achievement in itself for me).  The results were:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 60 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5538 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 439 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.42:46.05:38.05 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 356 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 439 Kbps
w23
Pro

Back,
That's the problem in your last post:
           IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
This should match the PlusNet line speed 4500 Kbps (4.5 Mb/s), if you stay connected and sptable this should automatically recover, if not then you can ask for a profile reset.
EDIT - for such a large difference it should pick up in a few hours.
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi strider,
Do you switch your router off each time you finish on the internet? or do you have a USB modem? Either way this has caused the drop in profile as you can see by the graph below. If it's a router you have then I would suggest leaving it on continuously for best performance.
Jojo Smiley
strider
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
As if by magic my line is running fine this morning.  It that was your doing, then thank you very much    :-*.
Do you switch your router off each time you finish on the internet?

The router is set to disconnect after 30 minutes of inactivity.  Additionally I do switch it off at least over night when it is not being used.
Do I really have to leave it connected all the time.  OK it only sinks 10 watts but every little helps the environment.  Sad
If what you say is correct then maybe that is why when I switched from MAX8 to MAX20 I saw no speed improvement.  I will try setting the router to stay connected all the time.  Crazy
Thanks again S
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Strider,
Definitely don't have an idle timeout set on it, it will give you problems. I understand what you say about the environment and we certainly shouldn't be flippant about it but if you were to replace one ordinary light bulb with an energy saving one you'd more than cover the power your router uses.
If you do leave it on 24/7 you'll see a massive improvement in stability and performance.
Jojo Smiley
strider
Grafter

Re: Slow download, normal upload broadband speed? [SORTED]

Thanks for the reply Jojo,
I consider the thread closed...
...but the engineer pedant in me wonders lost of things.  In particular how do people with USB modems get on?
Still I will try running my router on all the time and see if I get any improvement in service.
Thanks to all who replied
S